Deadline: April 9, 2021
Applications are open for the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science 2021. The PhD program in Sustainability Science is a three-year program that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science.
The program takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
The program will equip graduates with comprehensive, multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems, and deepen their understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current issues related to global change. The program provides students with unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops.
Students undertake problem-oriented research by playing an active role in UNU-IAS research projects, and acquire the quantitative and qualitative analytical skills necessary to understand the underlying principles of various systems involved in sustainability issues and debates. Through coursework and research, PhD students gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the technical literacy required to address sustainability problems.
The program starts in September, and by July of their third-year students are expected to complete all of the course requirements, obtaining at least 14 credits. Students can select courses from those offered by UNU-IAS, while also enjoying the opportunity to take courses at other leading universities in Japan such as the University of Tokyo, Sophia University, and International Christian University.
- The tuition fee is $10,000 USD per year. The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education and demonstrated ability to link course work and activities to principles of sustainability;
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree (full time equivalent) or Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
- A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency.
Eligbility Requirement for the scholarship
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
For more information, visit UNU-IAS.