Deadline: Varies by Institution
Applications are open for the Standard Bank Africa Chairman’s Scholarship 2021. Through this scholarship, Standard Bank aims to champion those African leaders who will actively build a future for Africa, led by Africans.
These leaders will be asked to exercise global influence through visionary leadership. Nine students will be carefully vetted and selected to complete their Masters studies at the prestigious institutions of Cambridge, Oxford and The London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom.
Each specialising in their unique areas of expertise, these individuals will represent the best and brightest Africa has to offer, introducing thoughtful challenge amongst their peers as they grow in courage, fair-mindedness and integrity. Their stay and studies will be fully-funded and backed by Standard Bank as part of their commitment to enable and empower them to become effective leaders in Africa. On completion of their studies, scholars become a member of the Standard Bank Africa Chairman’s Scholarship Alumni Network, which brings together professionals, activists and thinkers who share their passion for Africa’s wellbeing.
- The scholarships will provide the tuition and college fee in full, and a maintenance grant (i.e. living costs incurred in the college such as rental of college accommodation, food taken in college, etc.) commensurate to the national minimum doctoral stipend of the UK Research Councils.
- Open to graduate students who are and will ordinarily remain resident in one of the African countries in which Standard Bank is present.
- Prospective candidates must demonstrate an exceptional academic track record and will need to have successfully qualified on their own merit in their application for a one-year Master’s programme at either of the following partner university institutions: Oxford, Cambridge and London School of Economics and Political Science. All candidates are to apply directly the abovementioned universities.
A preference will be given to students commencing a course of study in one of the following programmes:
University of Oxford
- MSC programme provided by the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities divisions at the University.
London School of Economics and Political Science
- MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change
- MSc Public Management and Governance
- MSc Finance
- MSc Risk and Finance
- MSc Finance and Private Equity
- MSc Real Estate Economics and Finance
- MSc Law and Accounting
- MSc Economics and Management
- MSc Management Information Systems and Digital Innovation
- MSc Management and Strategy
- MSc Financial Mathematics
- MSc Economics and Philosophy
- MSc Environment and Development
University of Cambridge
- MPhil in Economics
- Mphil in Education
- Mphil in Engineering for Sustainable Development
- Mphil in Finance
- Mphil in Management
Be advised that you will be required to apply for your programme of choice as well as funding. Application dates vary for each institution. Therefore refer to your University of choice for application dates.
Applications should be channeled directly through each University website, as follows:
- For Oxford applications
- For London School of Economics and Political Science applications
- For Cambridge applications
Note: If applying for Cambridge, it is important that you list Magdalene College as your first preference in order to be considered for the Scholarship. Students will be required to complete The Standard Bank Africa Chairman’s Scholarship application form which can be obtained through the Graduate Tutor’s assistant via [email protected]