Deadline: September 15, 2021
Applications are invited for the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award 2021. The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks.
Launched in 2017, the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award acknowledges and rewards young scientists whose works shed light on the nexus between climate change and the extreme weather events that threaten millions of livelihoods and present ways these populations could be better protected. It targets PhD candidates and Post-Doctoral researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change;
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
- Ten candidates are shortlisted by a jury and their work is published in a Compendium. Out of the ten, four are invited to Munich, Germany, to present their research at the awards ceremony.
- In addition to having all expenses paid for, all four finalists received cash prizes, ranging from EUR 2,000 to EUR 7,000 to support their research.
- Open to applicants from all over the world.
- Applicants must be university students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application).
- Research applicable to focus and topic of Award.
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies.
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience.
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution.
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology.
Supporting documents for application consists of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration form