ASC Lieden Africa Thesis Award 2021 (Win cash prize and more)
Deadline: August 31, 2021
The African Studies Centre Leiden (ASCL) Africa Thesis Award 2021 is open for applications. The award aims to encourage student’s research and writing on African topics and to promote the study of African cultures and societies. It is presented annually to a student whose master’s thesis has been completed on the basis of research conducted on an African topic.
Are you interested in Africa and is your master’s thesis on a related subject? If so, the African Studies Centre Leiden is offering you the chance to win €500,-. Moreover, your thesis will be published in the ASCL’s African Studies Collection.
The award consists of a prize of €500,- and publication of the winning thesis in the ASCL’s African Studies Collection. All theses submitted will be made available fulltext online via the ASCL’s library catalogue.
- Master students who completed their thesis at a university on the African continent or in the Netherlands between 1 June 2020 and 31 August 2021 can apply.
- Students in the Netherlands must have received an 8 out of 10 or above.
- Students from non-Dutch universities with a grade A (or equivalent) may apply if the accompanying letter from the supervisor confirms the thesis’ excellence and supports the grade score.
- The thesis ought to be based on independent empirical research with a geographical focus on an African country, region, or its migrant communities elsewhere in the world.
- Theses in the fields of the social sciences or humanities can be submitted (geography, political science, anthropology, development studies, economics, history, religion, literature).
- The thesis can be submitted in English, French, or Dutch. Should the thesis be in Dutch, a five-page English summary has to be attached.
The ASCL invites theses that stand out in terms of subject, theory and methodology. The jury values an original approach, new insights, and a combination of scientific and societal relevance. In addition, the jury considers the importance of the thesis in relation to development-related issues, its style and readability and interest for the general public.
How to Apply
If a student or supervisor deems that the thesis fulfills the above criteria and merits an award, the thesis may be submitted. Every submission must include:
- a digital version of the thesis in PDF
- a summary (max. 300 words)
- a signed letter of recommendation from the student’s supervisor, detailing the quality of the thesis and an explanation of the grade, and details of the educational institution from which the student has graduated Only full applications will be processed.
All documents can be sent to [email protected].
The prize is presented to the winner during the Africa Thesis Award Ceremony in 2022, where the winner will present his/her/their thesis.
For more information, visit Africa Thesis Award.