Canon Collins Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships 2021/2022 at the University of Fort Hare & the University of the Western Cape
Deadline: October 4, 2021
Applications are open for the Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships 2021/2022 at the University of Fort Hare and the University of the Western Cape. These scholarships are offered in memory of Joel Joffe, who was Nelson Mandela’s lawyer in the 1963/4 Rivonia Trial. He played a crucial role in the struggle for democracy in South Africa. The Trust continues to build on his legacy, inspiring others to do as much as possible to realise human rights and reduce poverty.
Canon Collins Trust invites applications from current 3rd year students (going into their 4th year in 2021) studying for an LLB at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare. They will provide funding of R40,000 towards the last year of your LLB studies, an opportunity to enhance your academic and leadership skills through organised events and a paid internship at a public interest law firm for approximately five months after your graduation. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to complete their internship at either the Equal Education Law Centre or the Legal Resources Centre.
The Joel Joffe scholarship includes:
- R40,000 towards the last year of your LLB study
- a paid internship at Equal Education Law Centre or Legal Resources Centre after the completion of LLB study
- an opportunity to enhance your academic and leadership skills through organised events.
Applicants must be:
- a national of, and normally resident in, South Africa;
- in possession of a strong academic record and extra-curricular involvement;
- a current undergraduate 3rd year student of Law at the University of the Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare.
The deadline for applications is at 15:00 GMT on Monday, October 4, 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships.