Canon Collins Scholarship in Education Journalism 2021-2022 for South Africans (Fully-funded)
Deadline: September 22, 2021
Applications for the Canon Collins Scholarship in Education Journalism 2021-2022 are now open. Canon Collins Trust, in partnership with the Mail and Guardian, is offering a scholarship for one year of Masters study in Journalism, Communications or Media studies in 2022.
This scholarship seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa, and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in strengthening their work as a media specialist to promote positive social change, particularly in the area of Education. Funding for these scholarships has been made possible through support received from the Sol Plaatje Educational Project (SPEP).
They offer funding towards one year of Masters study, an opportunity to enhance your networks and strengthen your leadership skills through organised events, mentorship by a widely respected educationalist and writer, and a 12-month paid internship as an Education Reporter at Mail & Guardian.
The Canon Collins Journalism for Social Change Scholarship includes:
- A contribution towards your costs for the duration of your study period (R60,000 per academic year);
- A 12-month paid internship at the Mail and Guardian;
- Mentorship by the highly respected Educationalist and Education Writer alumna Dr Sara Black; and
- An opportunity to enhance your networks, and strengthen your academic and leadership skills through organised events.
Eligible applicants must:
- be a South African national, normally residing in South Africa;
- be in possession of a good Honours degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application;
- be applying for a 1 year full-time Masters course in the field of Journalism, Communication or Media Studies at any South African university; or be already studying a 2 year course in this field;
- be available to undertake a 12-month paid internship as an Education Reporter at the Mail and Guardian in 2023;
- preference will be given to applicants that can demonstrate a commitment to education matters in South Africa through work experience, volunteerism or as an activist.
The deadline for applications is at 15:00 GMT on September 22, 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Canon Collins.