BioInnovation Institute (BII) & Science Prize for Innovation 2021 (Up to $45,000 in prizes)
Deadline: November 1, 2021
Applications are open for the BioInnovation Institute (BII) & Science Prize for Innovation 2021. Through the BioInnovation Institute & Science Prize for Innovation, the editors of Science seek to recognize bold researchers who are asking fundamental questions at the intersection of the life sciences and entrepreneurship.
They seek scientists who can show that they have reached across field boundaries with an enthusiasm that has combined outstanding basic science with an eye towards application in the marketplace.
Successful applicants might have made significant advances in producing results that were protected as intellectual property and licensed to a commercial entity – for example, proprietary drugs and biologics, diagnostics, therapeutic interventions, health care information technology, or new solutions to biobased production of fuels, chemicals and foods. They welcome applications from those who take risks to address relevant and exciting questions with creative approaches, even if the outcome may be considered a negative result.
- The Grand Prize winner will be awarded a cash prize of USD $25,000, and will be provided travel and accommodation for the awards ceremony, if applicable. They will also receive a 5-year digital subscription to Science, and have their winning essay published in Science, both in print and online.
- Up to two runner(s)-up will receive USD $10,000, and be provided travel and accommodation for the awards ceremony, if applicable. They will also receive a 5-year digital subscription to Science, and their essay will be published in Science online.
- The selected Grand Prize winner and runner(s)-up will have an opportunity to be paired with the business development team for evaluation of their eligibility for any BioInnovation Institute (BII) programs. If eligible, they will receive assistance for submission of a proposal to BII.
- Entrants must have finished their PhD-level education within the last 10 years and must hold an M.D., Ph.D., D.V.M., Pharm.D., or combination of these degrees at the time of entry.
- If the applicant has more than one advanced degree, the 10 years are counted from the date that all degrees were completed in the case of uninterrupted training, such as a dual degree M.D.-Ph.D. program.
The entrant must submit the following items:
- A completed Entry Form.
- An essay, written by the entrant, that demonstrates their research as it relays to entrepreneurship. The essay must not exceed 1,000 words in length. The applicant must have done or directed all of the work, and it must have been performed in the last 3 years.
- A one-page letter of recommendation from the entrant’s postdoctoral adviser, supervisor, or other senior colleague who is familiar with their work.
- A curriculum vitae that includes the following:
- Full citations of papers that the entrant has published on the research described in the essay
- Academic and professional awards and honors that the entrant has received; and
- Relevant professional experience.
- Copies of two of the entrant’s papers that are most relevant to the essay.
For more information, visit BII & Science Prize.