Deadline: September 22, 2021
Applications are open for the ICFJ Africa Regional Journalism Workshops – Fall 2021. In partnership with the U.S. State Department’s Africa Regional Services (ARS), the International Center For Journalists (ICFJ) is excited to provide an in-depth training program focused on equipping African journalists with relevant resources, tools, and knowledge covering existing and new challenges, such as COVID-19 and disinformation.
This program aims to help African journalists improve their work as well as create lasting professional ties between African and American journalists rooted in a shared understanding and appreciation for the role of responsible journalism in fostering democracy. Participants are encouraged to use this program as an opportunity to expand their networks, engage in learning actionable skills and acquire helpful resources.
Online sessions in English, French and Portuguese will cover topics relevant to journalists across experience levels including:
- Ethical newsgathering
- Investigative journalism
- Mobile journalism
- Media entrepreneurship
- Participants will gain a deeper understanding on how to identify and report newsworthy events to inform constructive public discourse, the fundamentals of investigative reporting and how digital and legacy newsrooms in the United States are experimenting with new business models for the digital era and diversifying revenue streams to sustain their operations.
- Participants will also eventually be invited to submit articles to IJNet on the new skills and best practices covered during the training. Following the training participant will be encouraged to contextualize their newly honed skills for use in their daily work.
- Open to journalists in Angola, Cabo Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Mozambique and São Tomé and Principe only.
- Applicants should be working on the continent.
- Applicants may be from any form of media – print, broadcast, audio, digital/online or other.
Upload your C.V. as part of completing the application. Applications without a C.V. will be considered incomplete and will not be eligible.
The application deadline is September 22, 2021 11:59 p.m. EST. Applications can be in:
For more information, visit ICFJ.