Terra Foundation for American Art Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022/2023 at the Institut national d’histoire de l’art
Deadline: January 17, 2022
Application are open for the Terra Foundation for American Art Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022/2023. The Institut national d’histoire de l’art has partnered with the Terra Foundation for American Art to offer two one-year postdoctoral residential fellowships at the INHA.
The fellows’ objective will be to produce original research on the art of the United States prior to 1980 in view of publishing an article in the year following the end of the fellowship. The Terra Foundation for American Art supports research that includes all categories of visual arts, except architecture and commercial film or animation. Within the framework of the fellows’ research trip, the INHA will encourage the dissemination of their research in the United States. The research project proposal may expand upon the subject of the fellow’s PhD thesis, in favor of opening up or deepening the research focus.
- The fellows will be welcomed at the INHA and have access to the institute’s facilities and library from September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023.
- Health insurance, visa costs, and housing in France are the fellows’ responsibility.
- Funding, paid in euros, includes an annual grant worth $26,000 USD and a travel allowance worth $8,500 USD
- Candidates should hold a PhD at the time of application;
- Candidates should have successfully defended their thesis (in French or English) in a Francophone university less than 5 years prior to the application deadline;
- The thesis subject must focus, in whole or in part, on the history of art of the United States before 1980;
- Candidates of all nationalities, with the exception of the United States, are eligible to apply;
- The fellowship may not be combined with other funding and can only be awarded to PhDs without tenured institutional affiliation. The fellowship should not be accepted if recruitment for a lecturer position or public sector appointment is ongoing.
Application materials include:
- Research proposal (5,000 characters)
- Travel plan
- Rapport de thèse, for candidates who defended their doctoral thesis in France
- Letter of recommendation concerning the postdoctoral research proposal (for candidates who defended their doctoral thesis in France)
- Two letters of recommendation concerning the thesis and the postdoctoral research proposal (for candidates who defended their thesis outside France)
For more information, visit Terra Foundation.