LEAP Africa Youth Leadership Program 2021 for Young Nigerian undergraduates
Deadline: November 24, 2021
Applications are open for the LEAP Africa Youth Leadership Program 2021. The YLP is a 4-month leadership program for young Nigerian undergraduates which aims to equip and empower them with the skills, knowledge and resources required to become transformative leaders and active citizens who will drive sustainable development in their communities.
There is a need to intentionally strengthen the youth resolve and awaken the shrinking civic spaces in Nigeria. It is critical to start to invest into young people in order to unlock productivity and innovation, thus reducing poverty and insecurity in the country. Recognizing this need, LEAP Africa in partnership with BudgIT Foundation & MacArthur Foundation is relaunching one of its flagship programs – the Youth Leadership Program.
Since its inception in 2004, YLP has directly transformed the lives of 2,650 young people who in turn, have positively impacted about 7,680 people. Today, more than 60% of the YLP alumni network are advocating for good governance and leadership in their communities, and are making significant contributions across the nation.
- Applicnt should be a male or female undergraduate in a tertiary institution in Nigeria;
- Aged 18 – 30 years of age;
- Committed to attending the online training and is available for mentoring;
- Passionate about community development & improving the lives of others;
- Familiar with the SDGs and eager to learn more about them;
- Interested in volunteerism & other forms of active citizenship;
- Eager to understand Civic Education, Politics and Governance in Nigeria.
- Stage 1 – Application: Application by filling the registration form below
- Stage 2 – Online Training: All Applicants are on boarded onto the LEAP Africa Learning Management System for three weeks to interact with the Self-paced Courses that form the YLP Curriculum
- Stage 3 – Virtual Community of Practice: Participants are integrated into a Virtual Community where learning resources, program updates and other development opportunities will be shared. Participants are also encouraged to interact with one another, promoting collaboration & knowledge sharing.
- Stage 4 – Screening & Mentorship: Applicants will be screened based on Course completion rates. Only Applicants that have completed all modules will be allowed to be a part of the Live Mentorship Sessions
- Stage 5 – Change Project Pitch & Implementation: Applicants will be asked to form teams of 5 persons each. Note that teams can only be formed with individuals that registered for the YLP and completed the Online Training. These teams will go ahead to pitch their innovative ideas to tackle social issues. These ideas must align with the Sustainable Development Goals. Selected teams will be supported with subgrants to carry out Change Projects
- Stage 6 – Program Wrap Up: Participants/Teams will be evaluated and recognized for work done for four months of the Youth Leadership Program. Finally, successful participants are inducted into LEAP Africa’s Network of successful alumni who are thought-leaders and professionals across different spheres.
For more information, visit YLP.