SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar (SVS) Program 2022 (Funded)
Deadline: January 31, 2022
Applications are open for the SCOSTEP Visiting Scholar (SVS) Program 2022. The SVS program is a capacity building activity of the Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP), which will complement its new scientific program (PRESTO) and public outreach activities.
The mission of PRESTO (Predictability of Variable Solar-Terrestrial Coupling) is to identify predictability of the variable solar-terrestrial coupling and its performance metrics through modeling, measurements, and data analysis, and to strengthen communication between scientists and users.
The SVS program provides training to graduate students in well-established solar terrestrial physics institutes, for periods of one to three months. The training will help the awardees advance in their career in solar-terrestrial physics using the skills they learned during the training.
- SCOSTEP will provide the airfare, while the hosting lab will provide living expenses (lodging, meals, ground transportation, visa fees and other incidentals). Trainees should have their own health insurance or arrange a provision with the host institution.
- This program is open to applicants from all countries but with an emphasis on applicants from developing countries.
- The program is open to Masters and PhD students with the requirement that the recipient has not received a PhD at the time of application to the program.
Interested candidates should contact one of the SVS program hosts; develop a project and work out the details of the visit. Once the applicant and host agree on a visit, the applicant needs to prepare an application package including:
- A 2-page proposal of the work to be performed as an SVS awardee
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae
- Dates of the proposed visit
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor – with verification on the applicant’s eligibility
- Letter from the host scientist/institution indicating that the work will be mutually beneficial
Send a single pdf file with all of the above to SCOSTEP’s Scientific Secretary, Patricia Doherty at [email protected]. Deadline for applications is January 31, 2022. Contact the host institution well before this deadline, to enable full consideration of your application.
Note that with continued travel limitations, the 2022 SVS awardees will have until June 30, 2023 to complete their training program.
For more information, visit SVS Program.