Climate Tracker Climate Change Media Mentorship Program 2022
Deadline: February 18, 2022
Applications are open for the Climate Tracker Climate Change Media Mentorship Program 2022. This is an all-encompassing and engaging fellowship. When you apply, you will have the chance to be part of the new cohort of 6 young journalists eager to learn about and produce climate stories.
Between March and July 2022, this diverse group will cover the climate crisis from the frontlines, producing exclusive stories for Climate Tracker. But the fun does not stop there. Throughout the fellowship period, each storyteller will receive mentoring from the experienced team, as they work alongside them to strengthen their knowledge of climate change reporting.
They will be challenging each fellow to experiment and use new media techniques, formats, and platforms to tell their stories. Selected fellows will also get a chance to connect and collaborate with other international journalists.
- As a selected participant, you will be challenged and supported to publish stories (individually and collaboratively), produce newsletters, engage in podcast production, and participate in social media content creation on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok!
- Your stories will be shared and promoted throughout ClimateTracker’s channels and networks. Their aim is to make you famous for the awesome climate messages you produce. Exciting, right?!
- A great chance to sharpen your new media skills to amplify your journalism and boost your marketability.
Ideal candidates will:
- Be 18-35 years old;
- Have 1 year of journalism experience minimum;
- Have a hunger to improve as journalists – this is a learning experience;
- Have a proven history of writing quality climate stories.
This fellowship only rolls around every 6 months, so this is your chance to seize this awesome opportunity.
Selected fellows will have to participate in group calls every two weeks, where they will receive learning sessions from the Climate Tracker team. They must also engage in individual calls when needed. Additionally, their fellows will have to work on Climate Tracker’s expected products and multimedia contributions.
Here’s a taste of what the Climate Tracker group will be jumping straight into:
- 1 short news story (2 sources, 500-700 words, 1 photo)
- 2 feature stories (at least 3 sources, 1K-1.2K words, 3 photos)
- 1 collaborative story (more than 5 direct sources, at least 1 infographic, 5 photos, more than 2K words)
- Depending on the selection, you might move on to do a collaborative story or a long form individual story
- Newsletter adaptations of your stories / Podcast contributions about your stories / Instagram Live interviews
Not only is this a great opportunity to build your network around the world and engage with journalists beyond your country/region, it’s a fantastic chance to gain hands-on experience.
The deadline for application is Friday, 18 February, 2022. They are reviewing applications as you read this, so make haste and apply TODAY!
For more information, visit Climate Change Media Mentorship.