Deadline: March 6, 2022
Apply to become a 2022 ONE Champion in Ethiopia and Kenya. ONE Campaign is looking for passionate campaigners to join the 2022 cohort of the ONE Champions program in East Africa.
This is a voluntary 1-year program where ONE will recruit, train, and support 30 emerging leaders approximately between 18-35 years of age. They will champion causes ONE supports at the grassroots, state and county levels in Kenya and Ethiopia. The champions need to currently reside and be active in either Kenya or Ethiopia, but can be nationals of any country in Eastern Africa. ONE advocates and campaigns on education, gender, health, agriculture and transparency as a means to fight poverty. The program was launched in 2020 with 30 Champions in the region.
ONE Champions will work closely with the ONE East Africa and African Union program team, led by the Regional Director and will work with the direction and support of the ONE Campaigns team to come up with innovative and exciting ways to engage policymakers to secure policy changes and public investments to address poverty in East Africa.
This is a fantastic opportunity to impact your community, country and the world working with highly-visible, mission-driven ONE supporters in an incredible, supportive environment. ONE Champions will receive training on how to campaign, pressure decision-makers and engage the media. You will have the opportunity to attend ONE events and put your skills into practice in meetings with high-level decision makers.
ONE Champions will have access to a range of campaign and advocacy tools and activities and will receive support to design and develop their own action plans with the ONE team.
They will be expected to deliver a range of actions, including but not limited to:
- Meet with decision-makers, movers, and shakers
- Use social media to raise awareness and create change
- Encouraging the public to take online and in person campaign actions
- Develop analyses and write ups on key issues
- Help to plan and deliver campaigns actions, stunts, and supporter-recruitment activities
- Help ONE identify strategic personalities to lobby in your constituency
- Keep ONE informed on key developments in their communities and develop content
- Partner with their team to plan events and social media activities
- Help ONE identify strategic media institutions to target to maximize publicity
- Assist in the mobilization of supporters in Kenya and Ethiopia
- Raise ONE’s profile in your community
- A fantastic opportunity and network to make significant impact in your community and the world working with a highly visible, mission-driven organisation in an incredible, supportive environment.
- Training on grassroots campaigning and advocacy
- Experience on the practical side of campaigning
- Opportunities to engage with policy makers
- A ONE certificate of appreciation/completion
- Exposure and opportunity to represent ONE at both local and international conferences
- Only applicants who are between the ages of 18 and 35 will be considered.
- Applicants must be residing in Kenya or Ethiopia, but can be nationals of Eastern African Country (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan or South Sudan).
- Have passion for ONE’s mission to end extreme poverty and an interest in international issues
- Willingness to attend a program induction and training in person in Nairobi or Addis Ababa
- Great communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships
- Ability to encourage and support others
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to organise own workload efficiently
- A clear commitment to integrity
- A commitment to stay engaged with the ONE Campaign throughout the year
- Passion for creating change
- Proven commitment to efforts to end poverty
- Interest in engaging policymakers on issues of relevance
- Willingness to dedicate some time to raise awareness and mobilise different people to support ONE’s initiatives.
The deadline for applications is March 6, 2022 (End of Day, EAT). No application will be accepted after this deadline.
For more information, visit ONE Champion.