Deadline: March 25, 2022
Applications are open for the Earth Journalism Network 2022 Virtual Reporting Fellowships to the UNCCD COP15. The fellowship will support selected African journalists to cover the 15th Conference of the Parties (COP 15) to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) taking place in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, in May 2022.
Ten African journalists will be awarded virtual fellowships and receive training, mentorship, and other support to facilitate remote reporting on this important event. EJN is particularly keen to hear from journalists with a background in reporting on land use, or any of the other key issues relevant to the conference.
Selected fellows will have the opportunity to engage with their fellowship cohort and share knowledge and ideas for effective reporting on the issues. They will benefit from a series of specially designed activities, including an orientation workshop, daily briefings, mentoring, and interviews and sessions with high level officials. Veteran regional journalists will provide valuable insight into the proceedings from on the ground in Abidjan, as well as tools, resources, editing and guidance as needed to support fellows story production.
- All fellows will receive a communications stipend, to ensure that they have consistent access to the virtual activities of the fellowship.
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a low- or middle-income country in Africa;
- Be of African citizenship;
- Have a good command of the English language;
- Have previous experience reporting on desertification and degradation issues, and can clearly indicate the kinds of stories they might pursue during the conference;
- Be available between 7-20 May 2022;
- Commit to participate in all Fellowship activities;
- Provide a letter of support from an editor, producer or supervisor who can confirm that your news reports will be published or broadcast in an established media outlet. Freelancers are welcome to apply, but must provide a letter of support from a media outlet for which they intend to report.
- Criteria for evaluating applicants will include the prospective fellows demonstrated experience covering desertification, climate change and other environmental topics, their interest in continued coverage of these issues and their audience and outlet’s reach.
Applications for the 2022 UNCCD COP15 Reporting Fellowship will be accepted until 25 March. Decisions will be communicated before the end of April. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
For more information, visit EJN Fellowships.