ICFJ Emerging Media Leaders Program 2022 for Latin America & the Caribbean
Deadline: May 4, 2022
Applications are open for the ICFJ Emerging Media Leaders Program 2022. This Professional Fellows Program (PFP) is an exchange program for media professionals (journalists, technologists, and media entrepreneurs) from Latin America and the Caribbean to harness the power of digital tools and create viable news businesses that provide news and information in the public interest.
Through the program, media professionals from 21 countries throughout Latin America and the Caribbean have the opportunity to work directly with U.S. media organizations, develop entrepreneurship projects, and improve their skills in areas such as investigative journalism, fact-checking, and podcasting, as well as non-journalistic skills, such as how to build a sustainable business model.
U.S. media professionals also have the opportunity to do study tours abroad, interact with media outlets throughout the hemisphere, and build lasting relationships with other participants and communities.
The six-week program includes:
- One week of orientation led by ICFJ. Fellows receive hands-on training on digital tools and techniques and have opportunities to workshop their project proposals with other media innovators in a safe space for collaboration and learning. The orientation takes place in Washington, DC.
- Four weeks of professional newsroom embedments. The program pairs fellows with U.S. newsrooms, digital communications firms, startup incubators, based on the fellows’ backgrounds, skills, and project proposals. During the newsroom embedments, fellows will have opportunities to meet and learn from different teams in the newsrooms.
- Professional Fellows Congress. The congress takes place in Washington, DC and is a great opportunity to network, learn and meet Professional Fellows from different industries and parts of the world.
- The Emerging Media Leaders is a program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by International Center for Journalists (ICFJ).
Open to young professionals and emerging leaders who:
- Are between the ages of 25 and 40;
- Are from one of the 21 eligible countries;
- Are citizens or permanent residents of their home country;
- Are living and working in their home country at the time of application;
- Have at least two years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Submit a complete application, with all required documents, by the application deadline;
- Are able to begin the Professional Fellows Program in the United States in 2022/2023;
- Are able to receive a U.S. J-1 visa;
- Are committed to returning to their home country after completion of the program;
- Are proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application.
The selection process for both cohorts (Fall 2022 and Spring 2023) will be conducted together accordingly to the dates below:
- Recruitment of fellows: April 4 to May 4, 2022
- Selection of fellows: May 5 to July 1, 2022
For more information, visit ICFJ.