Deadline: May 15, 2022
Nominations are open for the Falling Walls Science Breakthroughs of the Year 2022. Breakthrough research was and is the key to understanding and solving the greatest challenges of our time. Falling Walls looks forward to, once again, honouring the people who are finding solutions to these challenges at the Falling Walls Science Summit 2022.
To help make the Falling Walls Science Summit 2022 the celebration that excellent science deserves, they are asking leading academics and academic institutions, universities, research organizations, companies, private and public research centers, academies, research funders, foundations, and individuals to nominate the bright minds behind the latest breakthroughs and outstanding science projects in their 10 categories.
- Life Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Art and Science
- Future Learning (formerly Digital Education)
- Science and Innovation Management
- Emerging Talents (Falling Walls Lab)
- Science Start-Ups (Falling Walls Venture)
- Science Engagement (Falling Walls Engage)
- In Categories 1-4, they are looking for internationally recognised, established academics and leaders in their respective fields, whose groundbreaking work contributes towards solving the world’s biggest challenges.
- In Category 5, they welcome nominations for/from artists whose work is inspired and influenced by science across a wide range of subjects (from the humanities to life sciences, technology and more), which sheds light on societal issues, natural phenomena or simply the wonder of scientific discoveries, and which highlights the unique relationship between these apparently opposite but often highly complementary disciplines.
- Category 6: In particular, they are welcoming submissions that redefine the way we learn and educate, that can show off a high impact with their respective target groups, are scalable and replicable, and offer a high degree of accessibility.
- Category 7: Within this category, breakthroughs represent significant advances, developments, achievements or an increase in (scientific) knowledge that remove barriers to progress in the applicant’s respective fields. They are looking for novel and game changing approaches (concepts, tools, structures, projects.) both in the realms of academia and research-driven companies, but particularly at the interface between the two.
- Category 8: In a time when effective science communication has become all the more paramount, Falling Walls Lab is searching for the next generation of students and early-career professionals from all disciplines to promote their exceptional ideas that create a positive impact on science and society.
- Category 9: Solving some of today’s most pressing challenges requires scientific findings to be turned into entrepreneurial solutions. They are looking for innovative start-ups that have translated breakthrough scientific thinking into promising business models.
- Category 10: They are searching for all forms of participatory Science Engagement initiatives that generate mutual learning between, and mutual benefits for, science and society.
To nominate someone or yourself, you will be asked to register, and then fill out some basic information about the person or project you wish to nominate. You are advised to submit your nomination as early as possible, so the nominee is able to accept the nomination and submit further information about their research or project before the deadline.
Once your submission is made, the nominee will be contacted automatically with next steps regarding their nomination as Breakthrough of the Year in their respective category.
For more information, visit Science Breakthroughs of the Year.