UNU Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector 2022 (Stipend available)
Deadline: May 29, 2022
Applications are open for the UNU Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector 2022. The United Nations University (UNU) Office of the Rector recruits highly qualified applicants to work as Junior Fellows at the UNU headquarters in Tokyo.
The underlying principles of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector are centred on creating a dynamic, challenging and rewarding experience for graduate level students and young professionals. Successful candidates will contribute to the work of the Office of the Rector, the United Nations University, and the UN system as a whole. The programme provides opportunities for the development of new skills and knowledge and is a unique and constructive setting for the practical application of capacities acquired through graduate studies.
The purpose of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector is:
- to promote interaction and dialogue between young scholars, professionals and UNU;
- to familiarize junior fellows with the activities of the Office of the Rector and the work of UNU;
- to provide opportunities for young professionals to gain in-depth, hands-on experience in a UN agency;
- to expose young professionals to an administrative working environment, and;
- to provide support to activities within the Office of the Rector.
Participants in this programme have the opportunity to engage in a number of ongoing initiatives that provide a unique window into the working processes of the University. Junior Fellows support the work of the Office of the Rector in the following areas:
- administrative research and writing for institutional development: preparation of executive briefs on priority issues; background research and drafting of topical information briefs in support of internal policy development (i.e. related to the functioning of the University);
- planning: supporting the development of project management tools and systems;
- in person and online event coordination: supporting the organization of lectures, conferences, workshops, and other public events;
- meeting coordination: logistical support and minute taking;
- editorial support: proof-reading reports and copy editing;
- communication: preparation and dissemination of newsletters, event summaries, and other communication documents.
- Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UNU to partially subsidise their basic living costs for the duration of the internship. The monthly amount of the stipend will be determined for each duty station based on the stipend rates in effect. The stipend will be paid on a monthly basis and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- is currently pursuing or has recently completed (within two years of application) postgraduate studies (master’s or doctoral), preferably in a field related to the University’s work;
- is under 32 years of age at the time of application;
- must not have more than 5 years of work experience in their related field;
- has a native or fluent command of written and spoken English;
- has excellent research, writing and analytical skills;
- can establish and maintain effective working relations with people from diverse backgrounds;
- demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in problem-solving;
- has advanced computer skills: sound, hands-on, knowledge of MS Office applications (familiarity with ICT tools and high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel are desirable);
- has a demonstrated interest in the work of the United Nations and more specifically, in the work of the United Nations University.
Junior Fellows are recruited through a competitive application process twice per year. Graduate students interested in the work of the United Nations — and in particular, UNU — are encouraged to apply.
Applications for the Fall 2022 term will be accepted from May 2, 2022 to May 29, 2022. Note that due to the pandemic, for the Fall 2022 term only applicants located in Japan and able to travel to UNU headquarters in Tokyo will be considered.
For more information, visit UNU Internship.