Virgin Galactic Black Leaders in Aerospace Scholarship & Training (BLAST) Program 2022 (up to $5,000)
Deadline: August 22, 2022
Applications are open for the Virgin Galactic Black Leaders in Aerospace Scholarship and Training (BLAST) Program 2022. The BLAST program is designed to support the next generation of Black leaders, who will power the rapidly developing aerospace industry and help solve global challenges in years to come.
This program will support students pursuing degrees in aerospace engineering, mathematics, computer science, Earth sciences and more STEM-based majors. As a part of this program, selected students will receive scholarship support, mentoring, paid internship, leadership training, and job opportunities upon graduation. The goal of the BLAST program is to support Black scholars through the academic pipeline to a successful early-career placement opportunity.
- BLAST provides $5,000 scholarship awards.
- Selected scholars will have the opportunity to select a paid internship at a partner company including Virgin Galactic, Virgin Hyperloop, Virgin Orbit, AEye Inc., or Planet Labs, with additional opportunities available for graduates to be placed in entry-level positions.
- Open to Black/African American undergraduate sophomores, juniors, or seniors pursuing STEM degrees with a focus on aerospace at any accredited four-year college or university in the United States.
- Candidates must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.
For full award consideration, applicants should provide the following in addition to the Student Application Form:
- Most recent academic transcript
- Updated resume
- Video submission for top 30 semi-finalists
- Virtual interview for finalists will be required
- A Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- The recommender cannot be a family member.
- The individual recommender chosen by the student, should be an educator, academic advisor / counselor, employment supervisor, or a community leader with whom the student interacts.
- The letter should provide key details about the interactions between the recommender and the applicant. And the recommendation should highlight the applicant’s personality, work habits, and skills.
Applicants should give the recommender ample time to complete the LOR by entering all recommender information (name and email) as early as possible. The LOR must be made through the online Application System and must be received by the application due date. Emailed LORs will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Virgin Galactic BLAST Program.