Deadline: September 5, 2022
Applications are open for the HSTP Health Journalism Fellowship 2022. Health Systems Transformation Platform (HSTP) is a not-for-profit organisation based in New Delhi, India. Their mission is to enable Indian researchers and policy makers to conduct health policy and systems research and translate evidence to practice for Universal Health Coverage.
Early-career professional journalists from India can apply for a six-month HSTP Health Journalism Fellowship. Fellows will participate in an in-person workshop in New Delhi, facilitated by subject matter experts, former bureaucrats, decision-makers, and seasoned journalists and editors.
The HSTP Health Journalism Fellowship seeks to bring to the fore, the otherwise unheard voices of people about their struggle to access or provide healthcare. They will consider story ideas and topics that will throw light on systemic issues by delving into the stories and experiences of individuals – users, healthcare providers, or administrators. Stories may be located in rural, tribal, hilly, urban or other poorly connected areas of the country, and highlight concerns related to the availability of healthcare, its cost, quality etc.
Issues faced by groups such as women, adolescents, elderly, differently abled, people with mental health conditions, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, minority communities may be covered. Challenges faced by healthcare providers especially those who are lower in the hierarchy, related to their working conditions, remuneration, safety etc. may be explored. They encourage fellows to take up topics that are often neglected in the mainstream media.
- The fellowship grant pays INR 100,000 per fellow for the total duration of the programme. Project-related expenses such as travel, accommodation, food, and other logistics will be paid on actuals, as per HSTP’s travel policy.
- A workshop at the beginning of the fellowship will provide fellows guidance from subject matter experts, former bureaucrats, policymakers, and seasoned journalists and editors.
- Professional experience through interacting with stakeholders (healthcare providers/practitioners, managers, regulators, patients, etc.), while building their knowledge and network within the health systems.
Applicants must be:
- Currently working as journalists (full-time/part-time/or as a freelancer) with print or digital media organisations or wire services, with an established record of publication in English or any Indian vernacular language;
- Possessing professional experience of a minimum of two years;
- Graduate in any discipline;
- Indian citizens less than 32 years of age.
- Interested candidates should submit a complete application. The mandatory information in the form are:
- An updated CV and cover letter
- Two samples of writing such as published articles/essays/stories in print or digital platforms, newspapers, or magazines
- One story idea for the fellowship
- Candidates who have been shortlisted will be contacted for a Zoom interview.
- Successful candidates will be informed about their selection via e-mail.
For more information, visit HSTP Fellowship.