Deadline: August 25, 2022
The Voluntary Media Council of Zimbabwe (VMCZ) Call for Investigative Journalism Mentors is now open. The VMCZ will be launching an Investigative Journalism Fund to support Zimbabwean journalists to conduct investigations on accountability (that is on illicit financial flows, budget processes (from planning to implementation), procurement processes, corruption and/or maladministration stories).
Media houses and individual journalists will apply for funding to conduct the investigations. VMCZ, therefore, invites applications from Investigative Journalism mentors who will be responsible for receiving pitches and mentoring journalists under the programme.
The Investigative Journalism Mentors will be responsible for adjudicating on investigative journalism pitches received and will also serve as advisors to the journalists who will participate in this initiative. Each mentor will liaise with awarded journalists and coordinate, offer mentorship and advise on the progress of investigations.
Mentors are expected to:
- Provide guidance and support to the investigative journalists under the project;
- Maintain communication and offer guidance to the awarded journalist until publication of the investigative story;
- Respond timely to requests from mentees for advice and guidance with investigations and how to navigate challenges;
- Participate in coordination meetings with the VMCZ;
- Create a personal plan for action with mentees and develop an activity timeline;
- Transmit their knowledge and experience to mentees in order to help them develop strategies and skills for investigative journalism;
- Encourage participants to have ongoing commitment to aims and goals of investigative journalism;
- Provide feedback to the VMCZ on the process and activities of mentees.
- VMCZ seeks experienced journalists, who will engage in the mentorship programme. They are looking for: Senior and veteran journalists with over 10 years’ investigative journalism experience and in reporting on accountability issues;
- Journalists with track record/ award(s) in investigative journalism;
- Journalists with experience in different media;
- Availability to mentor journalists for six months, with likely expected physical meetings;
- Demonstrated experience in training and mentorship of journalists.
For more information, visit VMCZ Call for Mentors.