Deadline: September 30, 2022
Applications are open for the Jamlab Africa Journalism & Media Innovation Reporting Grants 2022/2023. The Journalism and Media Lab (Jamlab Africa) is inviting journalists to submit proposals for grants of up to ZAR20,000 each for in-depth reporting on subjects surrounding journalism and media innovations and innovators in Africa.
Jamlab Africa is a project by the Wits Centre for Journalism of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. They support innovation that grows and transforms journalism and media in Africa whilst developing media that meets the needs of more audiences through innovation, entrepreneurship and research. Their vision is to see ‘new ideas, new information, new conversations reaching new audiences in Africa’.
This grant will aid journalists during their discovery, development and creation of written work on ideas where others are seen to be innovators. In order to apply for this particular grant, journalists are encouraged to submit proposals that focus on enabling innovators, journalists and media professionals to find the information they need to help them innovate.
The following are potential focus areas to guide applicants:
- Case studies based on real-world examples that inspire, warn or make you think differently about innovations or innovators within journalism and media in Africa.
- Profiles of innovators within the journalism and media arena in Africa.
- Research reports on media sustainability, business models, newsroom metrics and analytics.
These are suggested areas of focus but journalists can also pursue others, as long as the focus is within the broader journalism and media innovation framework and are based preferably outside of South Africa.
- Grants of up to ZAR20,000 are available. This grant is intended for reporting costs, and remote reporting is encouraged. The value of the grant award is at the discretion of the Jamlab Africa team and is based on the complexity of the pitch.
- Open to journalists in Africa;
- Applicants must have good written command of English and should be able to commit to Jamlab’s deadlines.
Address an email with the heading APPLICATION: JAMLAB INNOVATION REPORTING GRANT 2023 and containing the following items (attachments in MS Word or PDF formats) to [email protected]:
- Applicant CV including a list of previous reporting
- A brief proposal for article/s to be written, and include a proposed headline
For more information, visit Jamlab Africa.