Deadline: October 31, 2022
Applications are open for the UNESCO International Competition on Green and Accessible Cities 2022. Co-organized by UNESCO Beijing Cluster Office and Wuhan University of Technology in China, the International Student Competition on Green and Accessible Cities aims to promote the construction of an accessible environment and advocate for the development of inclusive cities while taking into consideration of environmental impact.
An accessible and inclusive environment is the foundation for all people, including persons with disabilities, to participate fully and equally in society. UNESCO is committed to promoting the construction of an accessible information and physical environment for all, including the construction of inclusive cities.
The Competition’s theme “Green with Love, Smart without Obstacles” reflects the major opportunities and challenges in the current urban development sphere, namely disability inclusion, accessibility development and environmental protection. Under this theme, the Competition invites participants to contribute their ideas on how to make cities more accessible and sustainable through innovative approaches at the theoretical and practical level.
- Design track: Participants are invited to carry out urban design projects to ensure accesibility and inclusivity for a newly developed district within Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. Participants are expected to take into consideration of concerns regarding environmental protection, sustainability, and the protection of historical buildings.
- Research track: Participants are invited to conduct research studies and submit original papers including research analysis, case studies, best practices, and recommendations that shed light on the conceptual, theoretical and/or practical aspect of an accessible environment at community, district, or city level.
- Awards include first prize, second prize, third prize, excellence award, and excellent instructor award.
- Winners will be selected and awarded at the International Academic Conference and Award-winning Ceremony in December 2022.
- The Competition gives full play to the innovative ability of university students worldwide. Students enrolled in universities (including full-time undergraduate students, postgraduate students, and doctoral students) are eligible to participate in the competition as individuals or in teams.
- Universities are encouraged to recommend students to participate in the competition.
The registration deadline is October 31, 2022. Submission of work is between September 1 – November 30, 2022.
For more information, visit UNESCO Competition.