India Health Policy & Systems Research Fellowships 2023 (Funding available)
Deadline: December 31, 2022
Applications are open for the India Health Policy & Systems Research Fellowships 2023. An initiative of Health Systems Transformation Platform, the India HPSR Fellowship is organised in collaboration with Indian & International institutions with expertise in HPSR.
It identifies twenty Indian mid-career public health professionals every year and trains them over a period of 18 months in HPSR methods along with practical experience of conducting a HPSR study.
Research with a systems perspective, that explores health issues within their specific contexts, is key for designing solutions for improved health outcomes. HPSR methods allow us to focus on the system as a whole and generate evidence for policy making. Hence, the vision for strategically building capacity of researchers and practitioners in HPSR, culminated in the development of the India HPSR Fellowship programme.
The programme is supported by the Sir Ratan Tata Trusts, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Access Health International.
The fellowship is a competitive award that will cover the fees for training, programme travel, and planned field visits. The fellowship also makes available a grant to deserving research protocols to conduct the HPSR study.
- Online phase (6 months) provides a detailed overview of various health system frameworks, policy analysis, framing research questions & application of HPSR methods using a health systems, complexity, and equity lens to develop a problem area in health systems or health policy and formulate an HPSR research question using appropriate research designs. During this phase, fellows are expected to invest 3-4 hours per week.
- Face-to-face phase (1 week) allows for an in-person interaction with the faculty & strengthen the concepts taught in the online phase. By the end of this phase, the fellows will develop high value research proposals.
- Mentorship & implementation phase (12 months) provides the fellows opportunity to conduct a HPSR study under the guidance of a mentor. During this phase, fellows are expected to invest 1-2 days per week on their research.
- Participants will receive a Certificate on successful completion of all components of the fellowship programme.
- Applicant must be an Indian national;
- Post-graduate from a recognised Indian or International university;
- Employed/ affiliated with an organization working in public health or health systems domain in India;
- At least 3 years of research experience in any public health or health systems domain;
- Basic knowledge of research methods in public health;
- Passionate to conduct impactful research contributing to health systems and policy in India;
- Motivated to develop a career in HPSR.
Applications to the fellowship programme will require you to upload the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A Letter of Motivation (300-words) or a Video (3-minutes) explaining why you want to be an India HPSR Fellow
- A brief preliminary research question based on health system problem analysis
- Letter of Recommendation from your professional or academic reference.
The Letter of Recommendation must mention the following:
- Connection with the person you are recommending
- Assessment of the candidate’s suitability for the India HPSR Fellowship Programme
- Opinion on the ability of the candidate to complete the programme
Applicants are required to ensure that the referee submits the letter of recommendation directly to the fellowship, the details of which are given in the application form.
For more information, visit India HPSR Fellowships.