Deadline: November 14, 2022
Applications are open for the African Female Artist (AFA) Mentorship Programme 2022-2023. Girl Child Art Foundation created the AFA Mentorship Programme in response to the need to empower and support young African female artists to succeed in the creative industry for additional support beyond GCAF’s successful art workshops, exhibitions, and other art-based educational programmes.
The AFA Mentorship Programme is designed to support the individual artistic methods and professional ambitions of emerging female artists in Africa by providing access to the skills and experience of selected mentors. AFAM is a specialized art programme developed specifically for female artists who are clear about what they would like to learn or those seeking a one-on-one lesson style.
Mentees are selected based on their demonstrated commitment to their practice, the clarity and level of ambition outlined in their goals for the programme, and the ability of the applicant to utilize the programme to its fullest potential. During the programme, mentors will meet with mentees one-on-one online and in-person, at least once in two weeks and four times as a group.
The mentor may provide support in the following areas:
- Proposal development for exhibition in public galleries
- Grant writing assistance
- Artist statement development
- Documentation of work
- Technical advice
- Skills development
- Critiques of work
- Research assistance
- Thematic result of work
- Organizational tips
- Creative brainstorming
- Mentees are female artists in the early stages of their careers as professional artists;
- Be aged 19 -30 years;
- Be an African.
Mentee artists must submit:
- A letter of application – Describe your experience as an artist (art practice/ studio activity )over the last year. What are your goals for this program? How would your current work benefit from the program? How will you devote adequate time to the development of your work while balancing other commitments? What challenges do you have in your practice, and what are you currently doing to overcome those challenges? (max 2 pages)
- 10 jpeg images or 10 short videos – (max 5 minutes each) with accompanying annotated image list (including title, date, media, dimensions). You can also submit any combination of images and videos for a total of 10 submissions.
- One letter of reference – from an established artist or curator with experience with your work. This letter should demonstrate that you are a good candidate for the programme. Also include the names and contact information of additional references who have experience with your work.
- A link to your website or a resume/cv (max 2 pages)
Email a copy of your Application Proposal by November 14, 2022, to: [email protected]
For more information, visit AFA Mentorship Programme.