EJN Scholarships for Journalists to Cover Biodiversity Conferences 2023 (up to $2,500)
Deadline: January 6, 2023
Applications are open for the Earth Journalism Network (EJN) Scholarships for Journalists to Cover Biodiversity Conferences 2023. The scholarships are for journalists interested in attending – and reporting from – conferences and global summits related to biodiversity issues that are taking place in 2023.
Eligible conferences may include, but are not limited to:
- International Congress for Conservation Biology — 23-27 July 2023 — Kigali, Rwanda
- 3rd Global Soil Biodiversity Conference — 13-15 March 2023 — Dublin, Ireland
- EcoSummit 2023 — 13-17 June 2023 — Gold Coast, Australia
- Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation — 2-6 July 2023 — Tamil Nadu, India
- One Forest Summit — March 2023 — Libreville, Gabon
- They expect to award scholarships of up to US$2,500 each. The amount may vary depending on whether international travel is needed for attendance at the conference. In general, applications with frugal requests will be viewed with more favor.
Budget proposals can include economy-class airfare, accommodation, meals, travel insurance, visa costs, mandatory COVID-19 testing and transportation costs for journalists to attend the conference of their choosing.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a low- or middle-income country. EJN will offer scholarships to journalists from the countries listed here. They will also consider applications from Russia. They especially encourage women, Indigenous journalists and early-career journalists to apply.
- Have previous experience reporting on environmental issues and clearly indicate the kinds of stories they might pursue while attending the conference.
- Commit to attending all days of the conference they are proposing to attend.
- Provide a letter of support from an editor or media outlet, committing to publish or broadcast any stories produced as a result of this scholarship. This is expected of both staffers and freelancers.
- Submit samples of their work, which can be uploaded as documents or web links. Stories can be in any language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis. Story clips related to biodiversity issues are preferred.
- Allow copies of stories produced from the conference to be re-published on the EJN website and distributed via social media, with due credit being given to the original media outlet.
Applications for conference scholarships will be accepted until January 6, 2023. Decisions will be communicated before the end of February.
For more information, visit EJN Scholarships.