New Architecture Writers (N.A.W.) Programme 2023
Deadline: January 6, 2023
Are you a young person of colour interested in architectural publishing, broadcasting and organising? Apply now for the New Architecture Writers (N.A.W.) Programme 2023.
New Architecture Writers (N.A.W.) is a free, year-long programme offering a small group the opportunity to participate in a series of talks, workshops, tours, writing briefs and other activities, all led by acclaimed editors, architects, journalists, curators and broadcasters. N.A.W. is supported by the Architecture Foundation and the Architectural Review.
Your brief is to write a short article on a contemporary issue for an architectural audience. This piece should tell a story, whether political, social, economic, or environmental, in a way that informs and engages the reader. You should identify a specific subject with relevance to architecture and draw out stimulating conclusions.
Your word count is just 500 words, so succinctness is key.
- The programme is intended for people of colour only.
- Applicants must be under 30 and based in London.
- They invite applications from anyone interested in developing their architectural writing practice. Applicants do not need to have journalistic experience nor necessarily be intent on pursuing a career in journalism.
- All applicants must be able to commit to meeting roughly one evening per fortnight. In addition, applicants have to be able to complete written briefs, which will be set approximately every six weeks throughout the programme, and contribute to up to two live events.
They will assess written submissions according to the following criteria:
- Ideas: Is the piece telling something interesting, exciting, and new? Are the ideas it conveys important and timely? Is it focused on a specific case study or example rather than trying to cover an entire topic in 500 words?
- Argument: Is the piece well structured? Does it have a clear beginning, middle, and end? Does the argument flow logically? Does it persuade the reader?
- Expression: Is the writing sophisticated and engaging? Does it require proofreading? Is it written for a wide audience, without jargon?
To apply, send a short CV and an original piece of writing using the online application form. The deadline for applications is January 6, 2023 at 18:00 GMT.
For more information, visit New Architecture Writers.