IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2023 ($20,000 prize)
Deadline: March 3, 2023
Applications are open for the IWMF Anja Niedringhaus Courage In Photojournalism Award 2023. The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award was created to honor the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning AP photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award winner Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014), with a generous $1 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation.
With this Award, the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) celebrates the courageous work of women photojournalists like Anja who inspire us to take action and better understand the world. This courageous work manifests in many different forms which may include but is not limited to conflict or frontline reporting.
- Recipients of the Courage in Photojournalism Award will receive a cash prize of $20,000 and have their work showcased during an award ceremony.
- The award is open to women, nonbinary and gender nonconforming journalists.
- The candidate must be working as a journalist full-time, and journalism must be their primary profession.
- Both freelance journalists and those affiliated with media organizations are eligible.
- Quality of photography
- Composition of portfolio
- Storytelling ability
- Conditions under which the journalist worked
- Candidate statement
- Reflection of Anja Niedringhaus’s values
The IWMF will accept applications and third-party nominations in English until March 3, 2023. Each nomination and application must include candidate information, work samples made up of a series of 12 photographs, and a candidate/nomination statement.
For more information, visit IWMF.