Deadline: March 10, 2023
Apply now to become the UN Advisor for CIVICUS. The UN Advisor is responsible for representing CIVICUS at the UN Headquarters. In addition to attending key meetings in New York, the Advisor is required to interpret and synthesise information about global trends in relation to civil society participation and civic space in accordance with CIVICUS’ mission, vision, values, strategic directions and stakeholder needs.
The role drives the implementation of CIVICUS’ advocacy and engagement priorities at the UN Headquarters and is responsible for the formulation of CIVICUS’ external messaging. The UN Advisor is also expected to support network engagement activities with CIVICUS’ members and stakeholders in New York.
UN advocacy and Networking
- Follow the UN agenda closely and analyse outcomes from relevant bodies as they relate to civil society.
- Develop strategies to enhance civil society engagement at the UN.
- Build relationships with the civil society stakeholders, diplomatic community and intergovernmental organizations based in New York to advance civil society participation in decision making.
- Represent CIVICUS at various meetings and events in New York and elsewhere.
- Develop oral and written statements, concept notes for side events, papers, speaking points etc.
Support function for CIVICUS staff and membership
- Interpret UN outcomes relevant to civil society and communicate these to CIVICUS teams.
- Advise various CIVICUS clusters and specialists on UN related engagements.
- Enable CIVICUS members and other civil society stakeholders to participate in UN activities and organise events in New York.
- Produce reports, papers, policy briefs and other written materials for CIVICUS.
- Maintain close working relationship with CIVICUS headquarters and the Geneva office.
Represent CIVICUS in New York
- Represent CIVICUS at relevant meetings both inside and outside the UN in New York and share information from meetings with the CIVICUS secretariat and membership.
- Steward stakeholder engagement and relationship building in New York.
- Participate in various meetings and workshops and communicate information about various CIVICUS projects and research findings in New York.
Support Advocacy and Campaigns team
- Follow civil society trends globally
- Draft CIVICUS advocacy responses to key events
- Draft policy briefs/ op-eds
- The role holder will from time to time be required to carry out any other duties that are within the scope of the job.
- All staff will demonstrate CIVICUS values and principles in all their professional relationships and any interactions.
- The salary for this position is USD $64, 475.00 (excluding benefits)
- A degree in international relations, law, politics, or relevant social sciences from a reputable university. In cases of exceptional experience, this criterion can be waived.
- Minimum five years’ experience in an international policy making or advocacy environment.
- Sound understanding of international relations and policy making.
- Familiarity with the civil society landscape and global politics.
- Working knowledge of UN systems and processes, especially those pertaining to sustainable development and human rights, including committees and special procedures.
- Ability to synthesize and process information related to development and political issues.
- Ability to understand and implement organizational strategies.
- Ability to network at a high level with diplomats and officials from intergovernmental institutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Sound IT skills, including experience with MS Office and Human Resource Information Systems.
- Commitment to Human Rights values.
- Right to live and work in New York.
The deadline for applications is Close of Business on March 10, 2023.
Interested candidates should complete the application form and email their application documents to [email protected]:
Your application should comprise of:
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing the more significant positions, responsibilities held, and relevant achievements
- A covering note of not more than 1 page outlining your motivation for applying for the role
Short listed candidates will be contacted 3 weeks after the closing date to schedule interviews.
For more information, visit CIVICUS.