Deadline: August 27, 2023
Applications are open for the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2023. Born from a passion for wildlife, and decades of experience living & working in East Africa, Comedy Wildlife began its life modestly in 2015 as a photographic competition. Since then, steered by its founders, Paul Joynson-Hicks MBE and Tom Sullam, it has grown into a globally renowned competition seen by millions of people every year, with sustainability at its heart and behind all its aims.
The free competition, open to wildlife photography novices, amateurs and professionals, celebrates the hilarity of the natural world and highlights what we need to do to protect it. From a surprised otter to a swearing turtle, Comedy Wildlife’s photographs transcend cultures and ages to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
- The Alex Walker’s Serian Creatures of the Land Category: Enter up to three of your funniest pictures of wildlife which lives on the land. Couldn’t be simpler. Don’t panic if the animal, like a squirrel, for example, looks like he is flying, it still lives on the land, so bung it in here. Another thing, remember if your pic is hilarious but in the wrong category, fret not they will put it into the right category, simple as that.
- The Spectrum Creatures in the Air Category: You guessed it, birds, bats and any other creatures that fly. If you have a funny pterodactyl image, put it in, seriously, although that might mean the image is more than 99 years old, so wouldn’t be acceptable, but perhaps worth trying.
- The ThinkTank Photo Junior Category: This is a category for kids with a talent for taking great and funny wildlife pictures. This year, due to popular demand, we have upped the age limit – from 16 to 18 years. So to be clear – you still have to be 18 years old or less by 11.59pm 1st September 2022 (BST). If you’re not, don’t fret just enter another category but if you are, then go for it! I hope that makes sense! If you have a query, ping us an email; PJ and Tom (who run the competition and write this drivel are desperate for emails, as they have no friends.)
- The Amazing Internet Portfolio Category: This is a brilliant category and to be honest a hard one. We want a collection of 4 images which are a collection, or portfolio, (that clue is in the category title) of really funny wildlife images. You can put 4 unconnected images in, as your portfolio, but you will get more points if the 4 images are connected, say “4 African Mammal Funny pics” for example, or they can be 4 images which are really funny from a single scene, I think you get where we are going with this one.
- The Underwater Category: Ok, you can put an underwater picture of an elephant swimming and farting at the same time, but we would move it into Creatures of the Land, so this category is for creatures (fish mainly to be honest) which live in water. I think there are a few marine mammals, amphibians and reptiles and so on which live in water so the spectrum is broad. And this year they have a marine super expert – check out the judges page to find out who – so enter the best you got!!
- The Video Clip Category: Listen carefully; this is the category where you can enter up to 2 video clips and each one can be no more than 60 seconds. They should be a maximum resolution of 1080p HD at 30fps with a maximum file size of 150MB but any resolution below that is acceptable too. Videos will be uploaded to Vimeo which accepts most major and popular video types.
- Category winners will receive a beautiful certificate.
- The overall winner will receive:
- A wonderful handmade metal trophy as the Winner from the Wonder Workshop in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Two fantastic photography bags courtesy of competition sponsors.
- A one week safari in Kenya for two people with Alex Walker’s Serian (the prize is to be used in one of their Masai Mara based camps in Kenya).
- Open to wildlife photography novices, amateurs and professionals.
- You can enter a total of up to 10 images, 4 portfolio entries AND an additional 6 entries into the other categories, and 2 videos.
- Each of the photographs entered must be in JPEG format, under 4MB per image.
Complete the online entry form and upload your entry(ies) before the deadline of 11.59pm, BST on August 27, 2023.
For more information, visit Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards.