Deadline: August 15, 2023
Applications are open for the SOAP Spearhead Essay Contest 2023. Spearhead Essay Contest is Spear of African Peace (SOAP) annual essay contest, which offers a safe space for participants to share their personal stories and connect with like-minded individuals.
Tell a story about yourself! Today, more than ever before, people have been forcibly evacuated from their homes as a result of violence, persecution, making this the worst refugee crisis in modern history. How has this affected you mentally? How has this inspired what you do? Tell SOAP how you are working to build a society different from what you have known.
The winners of the contest become lifelong members of the organization and a highly engaged national community, fostering peace and friendship across borders. Spear of Africa Peace hopes to provide a sense of solidarity and support for those affected by conflict and displacement.
Prize awards are:
- 1st prize: $350
- 2nd prize: $300
- 3rd prize: $250
- 4th prize: $200
- 5th prize: $200
- 6th prize: $150
Other benefits include:
- A full sponsorship to attend the award ceremony night in Nairobi Kenya.
- Access to SoAP’s trainings and events.
- Selected stories published on their website.
- Essays can be submitted by anyone up to 30 years old as of the deadline (priority given to refugees).
- Essays must be of maximum 700 words in English and well punctuated not including your name and title.
- Essays must be typed, with your name and essay title included at the top of the first page.
- Essays must be submitted in either MS Word (DOC/DOCX) or PDF format.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- By submitting your essay, you give permission to the organizer to publish it in any medium. Ownership of the essay remains with the entrant.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Entries must be from the East African Community.
- Must be available to attend in person the award ceremony in Nairobi, Kenya if selected.
For more information, visit Spearhead Essay Contest.