Deadline: August 31, 2023
Applications are open for the Dubai International Best Practices Award for Sustainable Development 2023. The Dubai International Award aims to recognize excellence and support human settlements best practices and to create a global and unique knowledge sharing platform for best practices in human settlements.
Now reaching its 25th year, the award recognizes the world’s best practices that demonstrate valuable contributions to sustainable urban development, as a result of effective partnerships between public, private, and civic sectors in these areas:
- Urban Regeneration and Public Spaces
- The most iconic, sustainable, innovative and smart building in the world
- Sustaining Urban Food Systems
- Addressing Climate Change and Reducing Pollution
- Urban Infrastructure Planning and Management
- Best Practices Award in Urban Regeneration and Public Spaces: Urban regeneration brings back underutilized assets and redistributes opportunities, increasing urban prosperity and quality of life. Public space is considered the backbone of cities. They are crucial for achieve sustainable cities and inclusive communities: providing ecosystem services, improving health and wellbeing, ensuring social inclusion and economic exchange. This category caters for addressing the cities of the future; finding ways in which cities ensure to provide affordable housing and access to food, water, clean air, mobility, public life and nature for continuously more numerous urban populations.
- The Most Beautiful, Innovative and Iconic Building: Sustainable and iconic building development require holistic local and life cycle data analysis in designing true bioclimatic and responsive developments, to make it a distinctive mark in the world. They balance preserving resources, habitats, heritage, visual appeal and optimizing wellbeing, quality, affordability, and performance. This category caters to recognize most iconic, smart, innovative, human-centric sustainable projects that combine green design and construction practices with modern, intelligent architectural excellence in an innovative eco-human-cultural approach.
- Best Practices Award in Sustaining Urban Food Systems: Food security is defined as the state of having reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable and nutritious food. This category caters for systemic change and much improved access to food by all people while maintaining a strong connection between food production, storage and supply to local, regional and global beneficiaries showing an impact on human settlements.
- Best Practices Award in Addressing Climate Change and Reducing Pollution: Living environment is defined as the natural world, as a whole or in a particular geographical area, especially as affected by human activity. This category caters for solutions addressing climate change, pollution reduction, and the protection of a thriving biodiversity including long-term multilevel governance mechanics, stakeholder engagement, disaster management, and circular economy.
- Best Practices Award in Urban Infrastructure Planning and Management: Infrastructure is defined as the basic physical and organizational structures and facilities (e.g. buildings, roads, power supplies, etc.) needed for the operation of a society or enterprise. This category caters for finding adaptable, local and resilient solutions, that will enable longer lifecycle of infrastructure, due to the fast-paced transformations in line with the 4th industrial revolution relying on innovative, futuristic and sustainable projects improving living conditions.
- Total of US$1,000,000 in prizes to be awarded.
- The award is open to all sectors:
- National and local governments
- Non-governmental organizations
- Corporate and Private sector companies
- Academic institutions
- Media entities
- Individuals (Researchers, professional teams, etc.)
- The applicant can apply for more than one category. However, one project cannot be used in more than one category.
For more information, visit Dubai International Best Practices Award.