Deadline: September 13, 2023
STARTS4AFRICA is pleased to announce the call for hosts for the START4AFRICA Residencies Program, the first S+T+ARTS residency program fully dedicated to promote Sub-Saharan Africa innovation at the nexus of Science + Technology + Arts.
STARTS4AFRICA will fund 8 STARTS Residencies hosted by African institutions, in Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, DR Congo and Tanzania. STARTS4AFRICA is especially looking for entities based in one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, DR Congo, Senegal and Tanzania. Applicants must showcase the capacity and ability to provide support and resources such as access to various materials, technology and physical facilities. Additionally, applicants must show interest in the following topics:
- Food and Water
- Digital Mapping and Speculative Landscapes
- Culture and Coding
- Wearable Technology and Smart Textile
- Immersive Storytelling
- Rethinking Sustainable Construction
- Speculative Urbanism
- Possibility to experiment new methodologies and engage in innovative co-creation processes with an artist(s);
- Opportunity to network with esteemed experts from both Europe and Africa;
- Enhanced visibility and opportunities to participate in large-scale public events (such as, Ars Electronica Festival in Austria)
- Join the growing S+T+ARTS Network and take an active role in the strengthening of the innovation ecosystems in Africa.
- Contract fee: STARTS4AFRICA will enter into contracts with selected host institutions through a subcontracting process. Host institutions will be remunerated with an amount of €25,000. The payments will be made in Euros (€). Additionally, the host institutions will bear any costs associated with the currency exchange.
- The contract will foresee the following payment scheme, reflecting three instalments:
- [Month 1] First instalment following the signature of the contract by both parties: 30%;
- [Month 4] Second instalment – following the submission and validation of a mid-term assessment (technical and financial): 40%; and,
- [Month 7] Final instalment – following the conclusion meeting and submission and validation of a final report (technical and financial): 30%.
- STARTS4AFRICA is especially looking for entities based in one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, DR Congo, Senegal and Tanzania.
- To be considered, applicants must:
- Be based in one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, DR Congo, Senegal and Tanzania;
- be a public or private organisation with legal personality , e.g. not-for-profit organisations (private or public); public authorities (national, regional, local); international organisations; profit-making entities.
- be a legal entity established on or before 2020;
- be from the scientific or technological sector (such as research centres, universities, technological companies) with strong connections to the Cultural and Creative Sectors and Industries (CCSI);
- or be from CCSI with an established network and access to scientific and technological entities/projects;
- have the capacity (i.e. facilities, services, staff) to host and provide guidance to a STARTS4AFRICA residency.
- Each residency consists of 4 different phases:
- Reflection phase: this phase focuses on the exchange of knowledge and the outlining of shared goals for the collaboration.
- Development phase: During this phase the artists connect with researchers and creative people in the labs of research institutions and the R&D departments of companies.
- Evaluation phase: evaluation of the potential impact of the new and innovative ideas, scenarios, across governments and businesses.
- Production phase: artist taking part in innovation processes within the company or research institution, helping the artist to produce an artistic prototype.
Minimum Expected Output
- STARTS4AFRICA Host institutions are expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Mid-Term and Final Technical Report on the activities performed (support provided to artist, meetings/ visits, production/prototyping actions, promotion, events, masterclasses, etc.);
- Mid-term and Final Financial Report on the costs incurred related to the activities performed;
- Submission of a collection of high-quality photographs (minimum of 10) and 2 videos (maximum duration of 3 minutes each), the first video presenting the expectations of hosts towards the residency; and the second video presenting and documenting the STARTS Residency experience;
- Report on business and exploitation strategies, including local stakeholders engaged and investment and fundraising potential; and
- Collection of feedback related to impact assessment tools.
For more information, visit START4AFRICA Residencies.