Apply to be an Editor with the International Center for Journalists. The International Center for Journalists is seeking an Editor to support the five-year USAID sponsored “Mexico Border Investigative Reporting Hub” program.
The consultant will engage with ICFJ HQ program staff, project partners, and participating journalists to undertake the tasks below.
- Assist in the coaching and editing of journalists’ investigations participating in program activities, in direct conjunction with the ICFJ program director and the Border Center for Journalists and Bloggers’ Director;
- Provide timely and relevant feedback on story ideas;
- Foster journalists’ development of proposals and provide detailed guidance on next steps;
- Provide all information required for the preparation of reports by ICFJ; Respond to requests made by all involved with the program, regarding program components and/or journalists’ work processes;
- Provide editorial support to the journalists participating in program activities.
- Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution; or the equivalent of 1-3 years of work experience as a journalist or editor;
- Proficiency in MS Office (especially MS Word and MS Excel);
- Experience covering or editing border issues;
- Experience in investigative reporting and/or data journalism;
- Experience working with a diverse, multicultural staff;
- Willingness to travel within the Americas for training components, as determined by project requirements;
- Ability to work independently;
- Fluency in Spanish is required; applications without this requirement will not be considered.
The consultancy should begin in October 2023 and the contract will be updated annually, based on effective completion of objectives, as determined by ICFJ headquarters program staff.
This position can be based in any location. The bulk of the work can be done remotely, via Zoom, email, etc. The consultancy will report to the Senior Program Director in the Washington, D.C. headquarters. Travel to the United States and within the Americas will be determined on an as needed basis. Reasonable and necessary travel costs will be reimbursed.
For more information, visit ICFJ.