Deadline: November 30, 2023
Applications are open for the ConDev Student Media Grant Program 2023-2024. The Program offers Aggies and others an opportunity to highlight the human stories behind major global issues. This year, ConDev is cooperating with the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management and Tourism, to focus on the role that hospitality and tourism plays in the mediation of conflict worldwide.
Since 2013, program participants have used photos, interviews and other means to document world events depicting the intersection of conflict and development. This year we ask the question, “How has hospitality and tourism supported peace building”. These grants are funded by Texas A&M’s Howard G. Buffett Foundation Endowed Chair on Conflict and Development.
SMGP Theme for 2023-2024
This year, 2023-2024, the theme of the program is the role of tourism and hospitality in supporting families and communities to avoid conflict, thrive during conflict, or recover from conflict.
This theme is chosen to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the installation of a selection of Howard G. Buffett photography at Texas A&M University, and to celebrate the inauguration of the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management and Tourism in Texas A&M’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Winners of the 2023-24 photo-journalism grants will be invited to Texas A&M to present their finished work as part of the celebration of the installation of the Buffett photography.
Each grant winner is expected to spend a minimum of two months during 2024 engaged in and documenting through photography and associated written or verbal commentary an issue that reflects the challenges faced by fragile and conflict-affected nations through the lens of tourism and/or hospitality.
- Those selected for the program will receive up to $5,000 to travel to any location they choose, domestic or international, as long as they secure proper approval from their university and any other relevant entities.
- Open to undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at any accredited university worldwide.
- Students graduating in 2023 are also eligible to apply.
- Thematic Focus:
- Is well thought out and provides a clear thematic focus and/or issue to be chronicled
- Proposes innovative use of media to chronicle chosen issue
- Has clear goal that is related to the issue
- Is pulled from a variety of sources
- Motivation for Work:
- Provides at least 1 page of statement of motivation for work
- Motivation is clearly focused in an organized and thoughtful manner
- Information is constructed in a logical pattern to support the theme and/or issue to be chronicled
- Planned Activities over 2 Month Period:
- Planned activities span a two-month period
- Provides plans for media/publication/blogging
- Provides clear deliverables
- Budget and Travel Plans:
- Provides well-structured budget and requests amount under the $5000 limit
- Provides high leverage to project with external funds (not required, but encouraged)
- Provides clear travel dates
- Majority of requested budget is spent conducting project in the field
See the Proposal Format here.
- Proposals should be submitted to [email protected] with “SMGP: [Name of Student, Target Country], as the subject line.
- Only one proposal can be submitted per student.
For more information, visit ConDev.