Deadline: February 26, 2024
Applications are open for the TWAS-TÜBİTAK Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2023/2024. The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Türkiye (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS have established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries in the South who wish to pursue research toward a PhD in a field of the natural and related applied sciences, in departments and laboratories of public and private universities of Türkiye and TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
The Fellowships are tenable at the departments and laboratories of public and private universities in Turkey for a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 12 months.
Eligible fields under the programme are the following:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems & Organisms
- Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology.
- TWAS will be responsible for providing travel support to Turkey and from Turkey to researchers’ home / living country and will also cover visa related expenses.
- TÜBİTAK will be responsible for a monthly allowance to cover accommodation and living expenses and medical facilities for minor ailments as available in Turkey at amounts to be specified by TÜBİTAK.
- The study fees, including tuitions, registration and research costs, should be waived or covered by the host institutes.
- Be permanent residents and nationals of a developing country in the South.
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging countries (STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply. For the list of STLC. NB. Developing countries that are not in the list are also eligible to apply.
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Turkey or any developed country;
- Applicants already onsite in the host country (Turkey) are not eligible to apply for this fellowship;
- Hold a master’s or equivalent degree in natural and related applied sciences (in one of the fields specified above);
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- By the deadline date of the application, having registered to a doctoral in natural and related applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text), in a higher education institution in the home country or another developing country. S/he must have successfully passed the PhD qualifying exam or be in an advanced stage of their PhD research in natural and related applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text). Applicants must certify this criterion with an official Registration & No Objection Certificate (see sample that can be downloaded below or from TÜBİTAK’s online application website). This document must be issued within three months before the application date, and it should also mention briefly the timeline and research work planned;
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from an eligible department, institution or laboratory of a public or private university in Turkey or TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
- NB. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) in Turkey, and NOT to TÜBİTAK. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection. The acceptance letter must be signed by the highest authority of the chosen host institute. The maximum number of academic advisors in Turkey can be 2 (two).
- Provide the Research proposal form prepared in the format determined by TÜBİTAK;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English. If medium of education was not English: provide evidence in English, e.g. standardized test card (TOEFL, IELTS etc.) or a University-issued letter certifying the knowledge of the language. If medium of education was English, please write a brief statement indicating what type of education was in English, e.g. high school, BSc or MSc degrees, this statement must be signed and dated by the applicant;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- Not have previously received or been awarded a fellowship under this programme;
- Must return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
For more information, visit TWAS-TÜBİTAK Postgraduate Fellowship.