Applications are open for the Mitacs Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship 2024-2025. Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with an exclusive professional development curriculum component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- A one or two-year research project with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise.
- A professional development curriculum that prepares Elevate fellows for success as leaders in research and industry.
Fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers. Over the one or two-year fellowship, fellows divide their time between their partner organization’s project and academic institution-based research with their academic supervisor.
The Elevate program offers:
- An award valued at $60,000 per year with a minimum stipend of $55,000.
- Partner organization contributes $30,000 per year.
- An exclusive professional development curriculum.
- Proposal assistance, including application feedback, from a Mitacs Advisor.
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission.
- Open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents or international applicants.
- They are based at an academic institution (including colleges or polytechnics) located in Canada for the duration of the fellowship.
- Their date of graduation from a PhD program is less than five years to proposed start date of the Elevate project, unless:
- Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered exceptions and must be approved in advance of application
- If this situation applies to you or you have any questions, contact Mitacs at [email protected].
- They have fulfilled all PhD degree requirements (e.g., successful defence, final deposit, and sign-off of the dissertation), meet the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria at their home academic institution, hold a postdoctoral fellow status for the entire duration of their Mitacs Elevate fellowship.
- They can commit to the two-year Mitacs Elevate fellowship, including the exclusive professional development curriculum. Replacement or substitute fellows are not allowed.
- Fellows who have held a Mitacs Accelerate award as a Master’s or PhD student are eligible as long as they have not completed more than two year (six internship units equivalent) of Mitacs Accelerate at postdoctoral level. This must be completed before the start of the Mitacs Elevate fellowship.
- Elevate alumni that have completed a 1- or 2-year Elevate project will be able to apply for another Elevate project. Postdocs can only be funded for a maximum of 3 years.
- Postdocs can complete nine internship units (typically 3 years) of Mitacs funding, including any combination of Elevate & Accelerate in any order (e.g. Accelerate after an Elevate; hold more than one Elevate). One year of Elevate counts as 3 internship units.
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
For more information, visit Mitacs Fellowship.