Deadline: December 8, 2023
Applications are open for the Malba Writers’ Residency (REM) Programme 2024. The Residence Programme is intended for foreign writers, offering them the opportunity to stay 5 weeks in Buenos Aires as part of their professional and artistic development.
REM stands as a forum for dialogue and literary creation, geographic and political issues, not only through the work and presence of prestigious writers and specialists residing in the country, but also through annual activities and events that count on the Residence Programme as their main management and promotion agent.
Duties of the Fellow
- As part of the Residency, guests will have as an exclusive condition the participation in two activities aimed at the general public (readings and/or interviews) in the museum and one activity outside the institutional framework, as well as participating in a press conference upon arrival to communicate their project.
- Malba will invite residents to produce a short text (1,000 words) during their stay under a slogan suggested by the museum.
- The author-in-residence agrees to dedicate his time in Buenos Aires to work on a manuscript.
- An appointment will be made prior to your departure with the organisers to share your experience during the stay.
- It is important that applicants are independent and able to move around the city autonomously. The residency does not cover extra travel expenses or transfers in the city outside of the established stipend.
- Round-trip tickets, corresponding to the transfer of the selected writer from his city of origin to Buenos Aires and back.
- A furnished apartment for your accommodation and the development of your activities during your stay.
- A stipend of US$500 to help with miscellaneous expenses for the duration of the program.
- International traveler’s insurance during your stay.
- Malba card that allows unrestricted access to the activities programmed by the museum: exhibition halls, cinema programming, literature and discounts in the shop and restaurant.
- Three public activities organized by the Residency at the museum and/or related institutions and activities aimed at disseminating the work of the guest author, as part of its agenda in the city.
- Tickets for various cultural events and a suggested calendar of activities in local institutions of reference, through which participants will be able to learn about the cultural agenda of the City.
- Authors willing to apply must have at least three published books (novel, short story, poetry, children’s literature, literary non-fiction).
- Academic papers and self-published works will not be considered.
- If not Spanish speaker, it is desirable (but not an exclusive condition) that the author has works translated into Spanish.
- The writer in residence is committed to dedicate his time in Buenos Aires to work on a manuscript. He/she must present a motivation letter and advance a concise and concrete plan to carry out during the stay.
- An expert panel will select annually the participants in REM.
- Argentine writers residing in other countries are excluded from selection.
- It is important that applicants could work independently and move around the city autonomously.
The application must be written in Spanish or English. Only applications received by December 8, 2023 will be accepted, without exception.
For more information, visit Malba Writers’ Residency.