Google Journalism Fellowship 2013: Apply!
Deadline: January 31, 2013
Are you a student journalist looking to harness the power of technology to tell stories in new and dynamic ways? Then the first ever Google Journalism Fellowship could help make the summer of 2013 one to remember.
This is Google’s initiative in an effort to help develop the next crop of reporters working to keep the world informed, educated and entertained. Google recognizes the value that quality journalism plays in a functioning society and would like to help the next generation of reporters gain valuable skills and experience on the path to creating great content.
About the program
The Fellowship will start on June 3, 2013 with the first week at the Knight Foundation in Florida. Fellows will join their host organization on June 10, 2013 and finish with a week at Google in California on August 5, 2013. The fellowship is a 10-week program that will give eight students the opportunity to contribute to a variety of organizations—from those that are steeped in investigative journalism to those working for press freedom around the world and to those that are helping the industry figure out its future in the digital age. Throughout, fellows will gain skills and contacts to help them as they move forward with their careers.
Students who are passionate about journalism and the role that technology can play in the industry and the pursuit of their craft can apply. Students from all majors and degree programs who possess the following qualities are encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to journalism – especially in the fields of data driven journalism or freedom of expression online
- An interest in exploring and creating business models to help the industry in the digital age
- Excellent academic record, professional/extracurricular/volunteer activities, subject matter expertise
- First-rate analytical, communications, research, and writing skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, and to work smartly and resourcefully in a fast-paced environment
Fellows will receive:
- A stipend of $7,500 USD for 10 weeks during the summer of 2013 (June-August) and
- A travel budget of $1,000 USD.
For more information, click here.