AU-TWAS Young Scientist National Awards for Africans
The African Union and TWAS offer support for African countries to institute awards for young African scientists. The awards are designed to recognize scientific excellence in their countries. TWAS, the African Union (AU) and national ministries of science and technology are entering into partnership with national science academies, scientific research councils and high-level research organizations in Africa to institute ‘AU-TWAS Young Scientist National Awards’.
In each participating country, two USD5,000-prizes will be awarded each year in the categories of:
- ‘Life and earth sciences‘, and
- ‘Basic sciences, technology and innovation‘.
For African countries, this programme replaces the TWAS Prizes for Young Scientists in Developing Countries award scheme.
- Candidates eligible for the prizes should be no older than forty years of age at the time of winning the prize;
- Candidates must hold at least a Master’s degree;
- Candidates should have a good record of research publications in internationally recognized journals;
- Candidates should be living and working in the country of the awarding organization for at least the previous three years
- Nominations of women scientists are particularly encouraged.
- This programme is for science academies, research councils or high-level research organizations in developing countries.
The participating organizations are:
- Benin: Centre Beninois de la Recherche Scientifique et Technique (CBRST)
- Burkina Faso: Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique et Tecnologique (CNRST)
- Cameroon: Cameroon Academy of Sciences
- Egypt: Academy of Scientific Research and Technology (ASRT)
- Ghana: Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Guinea: Organisation Scientifique National de Stimulation de la Recherche en Guinee
- Kenya: Directorate of Research Management and Development (DRMD), Kenya
- Lesotho: Department of Science and Technology
- Malawi: National Commission for Science and Technology
- Nigeria: Nigerian Academy of Sciences
- Senegal: National Academy of Science and Technology (ANSTS)
- South Africa: Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)
- Sudan: Sudan Institute for Natural Sciences (SIFNS)
- Zimbabwe: Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences
Deadline: June 30, 2014
For more information, click here.