2015 TWAS Prizes For Scientists
Deadline: February 28, 2015
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) invites nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries for its TWAS 2015 Prizes. TWAS evolved from two pre-existing award Schemes:
- TWAS Awards in Basic Science was instituted in 1985, to recognize and support outstanding achievements made by scientists from developing countries in the fields of biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics;
- TWNSO Prizes in Applied Sciences, awarded since 1990 by the Third World Network of Scientific Organizations, in the fields of agriculture and technology
- Every year, TWAS awards eight prizes of USD15,000 for each of the following field: agricultural sciences, biology, chemistry, earth sciences, engineering sciences, mathematics, medical sciences and physics.
- Each prize is accompanied by a medal. Candidates must be nominated for this prize; self-nominations are unacceptable.
- Members of TWAS (Non member & candidates for TWAS members are ineligible)
- Candidates for a TWAS Prize must be scientists who have been working and living in a developing country for at least ten years immediately prior to their nomination.
- Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of science and technology to industry or to human well-being in a developing country.
- There is no age limit
Procedures For Nomination
- Complete nomination form (download here) & send forms to
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11
I-34151 Trieste, Italy
Phone: +39 040 2240 387 387, +39 040 2240 662
Fax: +39 040 2240 7387
- On the nomination form, clearly state the contribution the candidate has made to the development of the particular field of science for which the prize would be awarded.
- The re-nomination of a previously declined candidate shall be accepted only if it bears substantially new elements for judgment
- The nominee’s CV and her/his complete list of publications are also required.
- Nominations of women scientists are particularly encouraged.