Call for Entries: Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) Catalyst Award
Deadline: April 6, 2015
Entries are invited for the sixth annual SOTA Catalyst Award by the Society of Typographic Aficionados. The award is targeted at young people who have created original work in type design, type history, or other areas related to typography. It recognizes a person who shows both achievement and future promise in the field of typography.
The purpose of the award is to act as a catalyst in the career of a young person who does not yet have broad exposure in the profession. The SOTA Catalyst Award is fully funded by The Society of Typographic Aficionados, an international not-for-profit organization dedicated to the promotion, study, and support of type, its history and development, its use in the world of print and digital imagery, its designers, and its admirers.
- The recipients will be awarded up to $2,000 in reimbursement for transportation and lodging expenses to attend the TypeCon2015 conference in Denver, Colorado, taking place from August 12th to 16th.
- They will have their conference registration fee paid for and will be required to give a 20-minute presentation during the main conference program.
- Applicants must be 25 years of age or younger on December 31st, 2015 and must attend TypeCon2015 in Denver, Colorado — making a 20-minute presentation during the conference.
- Recipients should be available to attend the conference from Thursday to Sunday.
Send the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A single PDF file (may be multiple pages) containing the following information is preferred:
- Visual samples of a specific project or related group of work to be the topic of the presentation.
- A brief description of the presentation (100 words or less);
- A letter explaining your involvement in typography (300 words or less);
- Online links to additional work or background information (optional).
- Include your contact information: your name, date of birth, postal address, organization or university affiliation (if applicable), email, and phone number with area code.
- Applicants from outside the U.S. or Canada should also include their country dialing code.
NOTE: Notification of the award will be sent by May 4th, 2015.
For more information, visit SOTA Catalyst Awards.