Competition to Design a Cover for the British Journal of Aeshetics
Deadline: October 24, 2015
The British Journal of Aesthetics (BJA) holds a competition each year open to students on full-time undergraduate or graduate courses at art and design schools or in fine art/design departments in any country to design a cover for the journal, which is published by Oxford University Press (OUP), both in print and online. The overall cover design includes an image, generally a black & white photograph of a sculpture or a detail from a print. It is normally but not necessarily a monochrome image. But winning entries in the competition have varied considerably from this norm. The specific brief for this year’s competition is to design a cover on the theme ‘Art in the digital age’.
Entries to the competition will consist in a .jpeg or .tiff containing an image (henceforth, the “image”), and a cover design incorporating the image (henceforth, the “design”), which can be assembled using a template that can be downloaded (the template is available in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop).
- Shortlisted designs will be displayed on the BJA website.
- The winning design will be used on the cover of the BJA. The issue will carry a half-page about the winner and his or her work.
- The winner will receive 5 printed copies of the issue featuring their design, and will also be invited to choose £150-worth of books published by OUP, free of charge.
- Runners-up will also be considered for future issue covers of BJA and will be notified in due course. Should they be selected, a half page feature on the artist will be published in the same issue.
- The winner and runners-up will be notified by email in November 2015.
- Candidates must be enrolled on a full-time undergraduate or graduate course at an art school on January 30, 2015.
- The image must be an original, unpublished work that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or violates a third party’s intellectual property rights, including but not limited to the law of copyright or trade marks.
- It must not be subject to any third party rights or agreement which may require the BJA or OUP to seek permission from or pay any sum of money to any person or entity as a result of its use.
- Entries to the competition must be submitted by email to: [email protected]
- Entrants should submit a .jpeg or .tiff file containing their image, as well as a .jpeg or .pdf file of the cover design incorporating their image.
- All entries must be accompanied by a .pdf containing a scanned letter, signed by the entrant, stating details of the course on which he or she was enrolled on January 30, 2015, together with the entrant’s contact details.
- Entries which do not meet the entry requirements and entries which are received after the closing date will not be considered.
For more information, visit Design Competition for British Journal of Aesthetics.