Nippon Foundation – POGO Centre of Excellence Training Course 2016 (Funded)
Deadline: February 20, 2016
Applications are now being accepted for the Nippon Foundation-POGO Centre of Excellence (NF-POGO CofE) at the Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI). The training will run from October 2016 to August 2017. Each year the course is open to 10 participants from developing and emerging countries.
Located in the North Sea, the NF-POGO Centre of Excellence at AWI will be conducted on the offshore island of Helgoland and the UNESCO reserve Waddensea island of Sylt. Helgoland provides opportunities for the study of open-ocean sciences; shelf/basin interactions are topics of study at Sylt.
The training will promote excellence in integrated, multidisciplinary oceanography at a global scale. Scholars will receive ten months of training and each scholar will conduct an independent research project during the programme.
- Be early-career scientists from developing and emerging countries.
- Have at least a first degree in science.
- Demonstrate relevance of their training to on-going or planned ocean observations in their home country.
Preference will be given to-
- Those with a leaning towards quantitative analyses of biological, physical, and/or chemical data from the marine environment.
- Applicants who currently hold a position in a research or academic institution in a developing country and anticipate returning to the country after completion of training at the NF-POGO Centre of Excellence at AWI.
Scholarships will be provided from NF-POGO through the CofE that cover travel, room, board, tuition, and a modest pocket-money for those students accepted into the programme.
How to Apply
- A completed form.
- A CV.
- Transcripts of BSc courswork and diploma certificate.
- Transcripts for other academic qualifications.
- Reference letters.
For further information, visit the training programme website.