UNESCO If I were… Global Youth Video/Photo Contest 2017
Deadline: March 12, 2017
What would your life be like if you were somebody else? Have you ever imagined stepping into someone else’s shoes? What if that person was living next door? How would you feel? How would you react to a given situation?
Through this contest, you can choose who you would like to be: you can choose to be anyone from your prime minister to your next door baker, and this only with a simple camera. “If I were…” invites you to experiment with somebody else’s life through a video (1 minute maximum) or a powerful photo made by yourself to illustrate your feelings if you were this person. Change your perspective and express yourself differently. A life-experience that you will never forget!
The 10 winners will get:
- 1 mini iPad
- 1 invitation to the “Second International Conference on Youth volunteering and dialogue: Preventing violent extremism and strengthening social inclusion” at UNESCO, in Paris, 12-14 April 2017 (travel and accommodation paid by UNESCO)
- An international recognition and exposure of your work on UNESCO’s website
- If you are between 21 and 30 years old, then you are eligible to participate.
- All national or private institutions, organizations, and civil society networks working with Youth such as the UNESCO Associated Schools–ASPnet, UNESCO Clubs, UNITWIN and others, are welcome to encourage their members to participate in the Contest.
See participation guidelines before beginning application, then complete the following steps:
- Step 1: Think about a person different from you, from a different cultural or social background. Pick someone that you know or invent a character that you could meet in your neighborhood, your city or country.
- Step 2: Conduct research (interviews, on the web, reading, etc.) to understand, without being judgmental, her or his context.
- Step 3: Take a digital camera or a mobile phone and use your creativity and flexibility to show your capacity to empathize in such a situation through a powerful photo or a video (1 min-maximum). Put your character in an everyday situation and reflect her/his feelings through a meaningful visual art expression. The narrative, if any, should be in English, French, Spanish or Arabic. If you are among the winners, you will have to subtitle your video in English.
- Step 4: Fill up the application in which you will attach your photo or video link.
- February 2017: Contest Kicks Off
- March 12, 2017: Submission Deadline
- March 2017: Announcement of the 10 winners on UNESCO’s website
- April 12-14, 2017: Award ceremony at the “Second International Conference on Youth volunteering and dialogue: preventing violent extremism and strengthening social inclusion”
For more information, visit UNESCO If I were… Global Youth Video/Photo Contest.