Call for Trainers: The Commonwealth Training Course on “No Hate Speech” in London, UK (Paid)
Deadline: October 16, 2017
The Commonwealth is urgently looking for two trainers to deliver a course that builds the capacity of young people to counter hate speech and violent radicalisation. The Commonwealth Secretariat will host the five day training of trainers to empower youth leaders from its member states to develop a youth led coordinated approach to address hate speech, and strengthen support for human rights and dialogue through non formal education and awareness raising actions.
The training course aims to develop the competences of youth workers, youth leaders and educators to work with young people through human rights education to develop counter and alternative narratives to hate speech and violent radicalisation.
The No Hate Speech Movement is a youth campaign of the Council of Europe to promote human rights online, helping to ensure that hate speech is unacceptable. It also develops youth participation and citizenship on-line, including Internet governance processes.The campaign is running in 44 countries since its launch in 2012.
Delegates for next month’s course will include youth leaders, youth workers, educators and government officials who work with young people on peace-building, dialogue or human rights through awareness-raising and educational activities.
The organisers are looking for two senior trainers who will prepare, implement and evaluate the training course.
Competence asked for:
- Conceptual and practical knowledge and training experience regarding human rights, using human rights education and intercultural learning and non-formal educational methodologies
- Experience with using the manuals Bookmarks and/or We CAN! in trainings and/or youth campaigns;
- Conceptual and practical knowledge and training experience regarding: hate speech, racism, discrimination, online campaigning and online activism, counter and alternative narratives, peace building, intercultural and inter faith dialogue and learning
- Knowledge of the Council of Europe’s Youth campaign No Hate Speech Movement
- Working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth youth programmes and Networks
Both trainers will be contracted for 8 days at 260 euro per day
- The trainers must be available for the full duration of the preparatory meeting and training course
- Preparatory meeting: 6-7 November 2017
- Second Preparatory meeting 26 November
- Training Course: 27 November – 1 December 2017
- The training course invites 30-35 youth leaders, youth workers, educators and government officials active with young people on peace building, dialogue or human rights through awareness-raising and educational activities.
- Participants will reflect the regional diversity of the Commonwealth and it is expected that participants from the following countries will be in attendance:
- Trinidad & Tobago, Guyana, Jamaica, Canada, United Kingdom, Cyprus, Cameroon, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, and Australia.
- The preparatory team will consist of 2 trainers; one selected by each organisation, and is supported by 2 staff members of Commonwealth Secretariat and the Youth Department of the Council of Europe.
If you would like to be considered as a paid trainer, you should
If you would like to be considered as an applicant, you should see details here and apply by 22 October 2017.
Expressions of interest must be communicated using the appended form together with an updated CV. For further information about the training course, please contact [email protected].
For more information, visit Commonwealth Training on No Hate Speech