WMO Water Photo Competition 2018
Deadline: December 1, 2017
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is now accepting entries for the 2018 photography competition with the theme “Water Ways”, exploring how this vital resource impacts our lives. WMO is looking for 12 photographs that highlight precious water sources as well as illustrate the risks and opportunities that come with managing this life-sustaining resource.
Interested photographers are invited to submit their images until 1 December 2017. WMO social media followers have until 31 December to select their favourite photographs out of 30 finalists. A WMO jury of experts will then make the final choice, based on artistic quality and geographical balance.
Winning entries will be featured in the special Water issue of the WMO Bulletin to be published in 2018 and in an exhibition during the WMO Global Conference on Prosperity through Hydrological Services, slated to take place at WMO Headquarters in Geneva from 7 to 9 May 2018. The images will also be shown on the WMO website and WMO social media channels.
- The Contest is open to all individuals and groups, regardless of age or location.
- Employees of the WMO Secretariat are prohibited from Contest entry.
- Entrants under 18 years of age may participate with the permission of their parents or legal guardians. If the photo of an entrant under 18 years of age is chosen, and written parental or guardian permission cannot be provided, the WMO has the right to reject the entry.
- Photos that have been awarded or given honourable mentions in any photo contest, either online or in print, and photos that have already been used in print or online publications (including but not limited to posters, online and print media, publicity materials, books, and articles) are not eligible. However, you may submit photos that you have already used in your personal or social spaces such as blogs, Facebook and Flickr.
- All photos must be a minimum size of 10cms to 15cms and in high resolution (minimum 300 DPI).
- All photos must be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format (with little compression to preserve image quality.
- Black and white photographs as well as coloured photographs will be accepted.
- N.B. WMO will require a higher-resolution for shortlisted photographs of at least A3 (42 x 30 cm or 30 x 16.5 inches) at 300 dpi, minimum size of 9000 x 5000 in pixels.
- All photos must be clearly captioned, including a title, a location and the date of the photograph
Entries will narrowed down to a shortlist by a WMO panel of experts in hydrology as well as experienced professional photographers. Entries will be judged on:
- Technical quality, clarity, and composition
- Visual impact
- Novelty and flair for the unexpected
WMO will publish shortlisted photos on Facebook, allowing Facebook fans to vote for their favourite photos. The competition will also be promoted via Instagram and Twitter. Voting on photographs will be restricted to once daily per IP address. The WMO jury will have the final say on the 12 photos to be featured in the WMO Bulletin and the conference. Other shortlisted photographs will be featured on the WMO social media channels.
How to Enter
- Take a striking photo which illustrates the theme “Water Ways” and meets our submission guidelines.
- Read the Terms and Conditions here.
- Fill out the mandatory online ENTRY FORM and attach your photo and submit via a dedicated page on the WMO website. Don’t forget a short explanatory caption and location for your image!
The deadline for entry is 1 December 2017. Results will be announced before 15 January 2018.
For more information, visit WMO Water Photo Competition.