CCAI Foster Youth Internship Program 2018 – Washington D.C.
Deadline: January 15, 2018
Are you interested in the Foster Youth Internship Program®? Apply today to become one of twelve college students or recent graduates who intern for a Member of Congress in Washington, D.C. and make an impact on federal child welfare policy.
The Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute’s (CCAI) Foster Youth Internship (FYI) Program® is a competitive, highly esteemed congressional internship for young adults who meet ALL of the eligibility requirements below. Participants will be placed in the Washington, D.C. legislative offices of Members of the U.S. Congress and write a federal child welfare policy report throughout the course of the summer. The dates for the FYI Program are May 29 – July 27, 2018. The candidate MUST be available for and commit to the entirety of the program to qualify.
Do you know an extraordinary young person who qualifies for the Foster Youth Internship Program®? Encourage them to apply!
Each congressional office placement differs. CCAI does not guarantee that the intern will be assigned projects that are related to child welfare. Office responsibilities will likely include the following:
- Open, sort and deliver incoming mail
- Answer phones, greet constituents, run errands, deliver priority letters and acquire signatures
- Copy, file, fax, data entry and work on small legislative projects
- Work directly with congressional staff to research issues and compose constituent correspondence
- Attend committee hearings, sit in on meetings, attend press conferences and take excellent notes
- Provide constituent services and give tours of the U.S. Capitol Building
- Attend and assist with congressional briefings and meetings, including various events organized by CCAI
- Applicants are expected to have strong writing, grammar and research skills.
- Applicants are required to have a strong interest in improving federal child welfare policy.
- Applicants are required to have spent at least 24 consecutive months and/or at least a total of 36 months in foster care during any point in their lives and be willing to share their experiences to raise awareness and effect change.
- Applicants are required to have completed at least four semesters at an accredited institution of higher learning, such as a college, university, or vocational school by the start of the internship (May 29, 2018).
- Applicants are required to have completed the Spring 2017 semester at an accredited institution of higher learning such as a college, university or vocational school prior to the internship (May 29, 2018).
- Applicants are required to be in Washington, D.C. for the entire duration of the program (May 29 – July 27, 2018) and participate in all mandatory weekend and evening events. Because of the unique group dynamic, as well as important orientations, training and end-of-program events, selected participants will not be allowed to arrive to the FYI Program late or leave early. Those considering applying for the 2018 FYI Program with known conflicts with the program dates are encouraged to apply the following year.
This is an opportunity for US residents.
All application materials must be received by Monday, January 15, 2018 at 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time. CCAI must receive the completed application (including the application form, resume, transcript, essay, short answer questions, two letters of recommendation and two recommendation forms) by this date.
All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision whether you will move forward to the interview phase by February 2, 2018. All applicants will know of their acceptance into the Foster Youth Internship Program® by February 16, 2018.
Apply through their online application form HERE and be sure to submit the requisite PERSONAL recommendation forms and PROFESSIONAL recommendation forms.
- 2018 CCAI Foster Youth Internship Application Instructions
- Professional Recommendation Form
- Personal Recommendation Form
Please carefully review the application form before calling or emailing with questions. Contact CCAI’s Policy and Programs Associate, Taylor Draddy, [email protected] or at (202) 544-8500.
For more information, visit Foster Youth Internship Program.