VSO Nigeria seeks Volunteers for the International Citizen Service Programme 2018
Deadline: December 20, 2017
VSO Nigeria is currently looking for motivated and passionate candidates to be a part of the next cycle of the ICS programme, which will run from February to April 2018. If you believe you have the ambition to make a difference and meet all the criteria, apply.
International Citizen Service (ICS) is a global volunteering experience which supports young people from all backgrounds to make a real difference to some of the world’s poorest people. ICS brings together young people from the UK and developing countries to volunteer in rural communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America for a period of 10 – 12 weeks. Presently, ICS projects in Nigeria center on Education and Livelihoods. Nigerian volunteers (In country Volunteers) work side-by-side with UK volunteers in these communities, staying with host families in the local community.
ICS is not a holiday. It is demanding but hugely rewarding. It is a great opportunity for personal development, a stepping-stone to future careers and a chance to make your world a better place. It was launched by the UK Prime Minister in March 2011, and is funded by the Department for International Development (DfID).
Volunteers will live and work in a community for 3 months. They will work alongside UK volunteers in a team and stay in a mixed pair of a UK volunteer and a Nigeria volunteer and will live with a local family (host home). Volunteers will work with community-based organisations and are required to complete an action at home on their return to promote awareness of international development issues.
Becoming an ICS volunteer provides young people with an opportunity to:
- Learn more about how other people live and about themselves
- Gain experience and skills which will enhance their employability
- Do work which is of practical value to people in a developing country
- Develop skills, knowledge and attitudes, which will enable them to play a positive role in their individual society.
VSO pays for the following
- N2000 weekly allowance to the volunteers
- Host home allowance for host home to feed volunteers
- Transport allowance or arrange for transport in the case of group travels
- Medical and personal accident insurance (including emergency)*
- Any Nigerian who falls under the age bracket 18-25
- No skills or qualification are required to take part
- They look out for volunteers who are flexible, adaptable, team players, committed to learning and sensitive to the needs of others.
- Treat everyone equally and with respect, regardless of any difference.
- Abide by and respect all the laws of the country
- Always stay within host communities
- Respect the customs and cultures of host communities and specifically their host families.
- Take part in all the activities and phases of the programme, including pre-departure preparation and the post-programme review weekend.
- Live modestly, avoiding showy behaviour.
Complete the online application here.
For more information, visit VSO Nigeria ICS Programme.