Deadline: May 4, 2018
The Programs Team at Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI) is seeking passionate educators, facilitators, mentors and high-energy professionals to join their instructional and residential teams at SMASH Academy. They are looking for individuals who will contribute to their larger aim of developing scholars to become critically-aware STEM practitioners and leaders oriented toward social justice. Their goal is to prepare students with the skills and STEM knowledge for the betterment of their local, national, and global communities.
Teaching at SMASH Academy is about professional growth, personal commitment, and the tenacity to challenge the pedagogical status quo. SMASH Academy offers a unique environment for scholars and staff alike to focus on their interests in STEM education and explore cutting-edge practices.
This is approximately a six week assignment, with one week of full-time training before SMASH and a part-time engagement through the duration of SMASH Academy (5 weeks) at various locations including UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Morehouse College, Stanford University, UCLA, Wayne State University, Wharton School of Business.
About SMASH Academy
SMASH Academy, a program that US News and World Report called “Perhaps the most ambitious program to encourage African American and Latino students in STEM fields” is heading into its 15th summer this year. It is the flagship program of the Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI), an organization committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and fostering their untapped talent for the advancement of USA.
- $150/training and debrief and $2475 teaching stipend. While LPFI cannot offer a benefits package for these positions, they can reimburse you for any approved work-related expense. You are responsible for your own parking and transit related expenses. Access to a laptop is also necessary; LPFI cannot provide one.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field required; advanced degree preferred (completed or in progress);
- Have a minimum of two years subject area teaching experience and/or relevant work experience;
- Content competency and enthusiasm for subject area required;
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with low-income youth underrepresented in diverse academic fields;
- Commitment to LPFI and SMASH’s mission; willingness to embrace goals/values is essential;
- Desire to teach with technology and improve technological skills;
- Excellent classroom management and teaching skills; openness to various and/or new teaching paradigms;
- Willingness to be self-reflective and reflexive about your individual teaching philosophy and practice;
- Experience in collaboratively developing curriculum, project based learning and AP coursework preferred;
- Availability for all training dates and additional events;
- Spanish fluency a plus.
The application includes a place to upload your resume and cover letter and to provide a written response to specific prompts. Click on the position you wish to apply for:
- Brand Campaign Consultant (Contract)
- College Success Instructor
- Computer Science Instructor
- Curriculum and Instruction Director
- Design Thinking Instructor
- Lead Instructor
- Math Instructor
- Program Coordinator
- Residential Director
- Residential Staff
- SAT Prep Instructor
- Science Instructor (Biology, Chemistry, or Physics)
- SMASH Rising Project Manager
For more information, visit LPFI Jobs.