Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program 2018 for Japanese Nationals
Deadline: April 19, 2018
The call for applications from Japanese Nationals for a JJWBGSP Scholarship is open. The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) will provide scholarships for 15 Japanese mid-career professionals who are dedicated to the alleviation of poverty and enhanced shared prosperity in developing countries, and who have been admitted to or are currently enrolled in a master’s or PhD graduate degree program outside of Japan and in development-related fields.
Applicants seeking master degrees are encouraged (but not required) to seek admissions in institutions participating in our Preferred and Partnership Programs. Graduate degrees related to Foreign Service, Diplomacy, Business (including MBAs) and Law (including LLMs), Medicine (including MDs) are not eligible for financing by the JJWBGSP scholarship.
After earning their degree, Japanese national scholars are expected to advance their professional career with a keen focus on the alleviation of poverty and enhanced shared prosperity in developing countries.
The scholarship is fully funded by the Government of Japan, and provides for each scholarship recipient the following benefits during the scholarship period:
- If the scholar is not already attending the graduate program, the scholarship will fund one economy class air travel from his/her home country to the host university at the start of graduate degree program.
- If at the end of the scholarship period the scholar has completed all requirements to earn the graduate degree, the scholarship will fund one economy class air travel from the host university to Japan or a developing country where the scholar has secured employment.
- For the duration of the scholarship period, tuition for his/her graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance that can be obtained through the university.
- While on campus during the scholarship period, a monthly subsistence allowance to cover living expenses, including books. The amount of the allowance varies depending on the host country.
Please note all JJ/WBGSP scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
The JJ/WBGSP scholarship does not cover:
- VISA application(s) costs
- Expenses to bring and/or support a scholar’s family members;
- Extra-curricular courses or training;
- Language training not provided by the graduate program;
- Additional travel during the course of the study program;
- Expenses related to research, supplementary educational materials, field trips, participation in workshops/seminars, or internships; or
- Educational equipment such as computers.
- Be a Japanese national
- On or after the date the call for scholarship applications opens, not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any type of appointment (including temporary and consultant) of the World Bank Group (The World Bank, International Development Association, International Finance Corporation, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, and International Center for Settlements of Investment Disputes); or not be a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) earned at least three years before the date of the Application Deadline.
- On or after the date the JJWBGSP scholarship application process opens, not be employed by the Government of Japan or its related agencies, including JICA, local governments and the Central Bank.
- Have at least 3 years of paid development-related employment acquired since earning a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) and acquired within the past six years from the date of the Application Deadline. (See FAQs on how to count qualified part time employment counted toward this 3-year requirement).
- Be either currently enrolled in or by April 12, 2018 have been unconditionally accepted (except for the condition of funding) into a master’s or PhD program outside of Japan in an area of study related to development listed in Annex 1. (Please note that if awarded a scholarship, JJWBGSP funding will not start before September 2018).
Once you are familiar with the processes, click HERE to apply,
For more information, visit JJ/WBGSP.